Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I still don't get it... what's the red lightning bolt mean agian?

Legend
Legend

In the PathFinder of an assembly file, when a part (in the current case a part that is a child of an adjustable assembly) has a red lightning bolt.  What exactly does that mean?

edit:

Does it only mean that there are failed relations?  I'm confused because the part has no relations.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.
11 REPLIES

Betreff: I still don't get it... what's the red lightning bolt mean agian?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @bnemec

more or less "Yes" exactly.

The red lightning means that at least one relation can not be realized due to a change in part geometry, another relation which was modified or changed, or ...

See "Assembly Relationshi Manager" for further investigation of where the problem is.

20171011_2012.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

I thought so too @hawcad, but it truely has no relationships that I can see. Since I took the snapshot I activated the entire assembly and updated, no change.  The update Relationships icon is greyed out.

image.png

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @bnemec

just keep an eye onto not have selected any part from Your assembly and start the ARM (Assembly Relationship Manager)

You shoul  be able to see all relation from Your ASM now.20171011_2033.PNG

Then change to the filter and activate failed only

This should help You to find where the problem is.

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

Thank you Wolfgang.  Tried as you said and nothing showed, remove the filter and I see the 22 relationships

image.png

Legend
Legend
I just checked a couple things:
- Other where used of that adjustable assembly are fine.
- Closed SE and reopened with no change.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The Assembly Relationship Manager only shows relationships in the active assembly. Is it possible that the part with the red lightning bold has a failed relationship in the adjustable subassembly? What does the lower portion of the Pathfinder show when you select the part with the lightning bolt?

Greg

Legend
Legend

Hi @GregLuckett,

That's what I tried to show in the first screen shot I shared, but didn't do a good job of it.  I had selected the part with the lightning bolt in the path finder and then right clicked to get the relationships manager for that part.  The relationship manager is empty when I do that.

When I open the 312037 (the assembly that contains the part with lightning bolt) it looks good.  Then I activate all and update and still looks good.  Other assemblies that use the 312037 as adjustable are good.

My simple minded understanding of how solid edge handles adjustable assemblies is that it takes all the relationships (except for grounds) from that assembly and moves them to the top level, active, assembly.  Is that close enough of an understanding?  That part with the lightning bolt has no relationships in the assembly that it belongs to.

Since I had to keep moving I saved a copy of the assembly then deleted the adjustble assembly causing problems and brought it back in.  Then turned adjustability back on and redid relationships and it's working ok.  Our adjustable assemblies tend to be what I would call buggy.  This lightning bolt on a part that shows no failed relationships problem does happen every once in a while, this is not the first time.  I didn't know if I'm missing something or if I should pack-n-go the whole thing and send to GTAC.

Phenom
Phenom

I had this with an adjustable assembly. I found that I needed to get rid of all relationships on it, then make sure and place relationships by selecting the individual subcomponents in the adjustable assembly when placing the relationships. And be careful to realize when certain one's will contradict each other.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

@nominus38, I was affraid of that.  What you say is pretty much what I've done in the past, except I just started over from scratch with the top level assembly.  Smiley Frustrated   Which is about the same as getting components into the model is the quick part.

I did as you suggested, I opened the Relationship Manager with no parts selected and deleted all the relationships.  Still have red lightning bolt.  So I made sure all parts are activated and updated, still lightning bolt.  I tried to open the Relationship Manager but the icon is greyed out, I assume because there are no relationships.  I've learned that when nothing makes sence consider a graphics card issue, maybe it's not redrawing the PathFinder correctly.  But when I try to place a relationship I cannot select any component in the assembly that contains the component with the lightning bolt.  I packed it up and sent to GTAC with an IR.

Have you found any significance to when you set the assembly adjustable?  Sometimes I might have a couple relationships to the part before I switch.  I will usually delete those before switching to adjustable.  Also often there is a sub assembly that also needs to be adjustable for the assemblies to move as needed so I forget that one needs to be adjustable.