Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INDEXING DRAWINGS

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone.

I just called our retailer who opened a ticket in siemens but I still want to talk about the problem I've had for a long time.

In the technical office we have 5 floating licenses all set up as in the picture.

1- TYPE_OF_INTEGRATION.PNG

We keep all the drawings in a server disk as shown in the "uff.tecnico.meccanico" photo that is seen as a network path.

2- ARCHIVE_FILES.PNG

Inside we have all folders divided by years where we insert all the projects with the complete machine as in the picture. In the "Drawings Archive" folder instead we keep all the construction files that will then be mounted inside the assembly of the main machine.

2_1- ARCHIVE_FILES.PNG

I tried to index the folders of the network folder from the windows "Indexing Options" but it does not allow me to add a network path.

3_INDICIZZAZIONE.PNG

I tried to overcome the problem by setting the location from the "Data management" item in the solid edge program as the location address of my drawings

4_SOLID_EDGE_SETTING.PNG

So I opened a drawing of a frame in my archive that is contained in several machines. I pressed the "Where it is used" button and as in the picture I get the pop-up that is missing the indexing of the path where the search is done and before writing to you I did the same test that took about 10 hours and was blocked . How do you do it? I don't understand anything anymore.

5_1_WHERE_IS_USED.PNGPath of search e setting type5_WHERE_IS_USED.PNGWhere is used

Before writing on the forum I also decided to create a copy of our entire archive on a local HD mounted on my PC and indexing the path (being local I can add it Smiley Frustrated) by pressing the button where it is used, even if I look for an archive with about 360,000 drawings, the search gave me results in less than 3 seconds. Now. How do i behave?

PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Betreff: INDEXING DRAWINGS

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @And_M_One 

the problem You are asking for here is more a Windows issue than a Solid Edge one.

Indexing - by definition - only is allowed and available for "local" drives.

No network drive can be indexed from a workstation or even better to say, no network drive must not be indexed from a local workstation.

Otherwise every workstaion, every client has to index the same data and this again and again and over the network.

First class situation for a broken and hanging network.

For such a situation Microsoft says clear: 
You have to index the data on the server itself, and the server takes care to offer this index database to all clients the need it.

So install the Solid Edge Fast Search on the server, set it up according to Your needs and cretae the index.

From mow on this index database can be used from avery client.

As long as You connect to that "UNC share" and not using a mapped drive.

Again this comes from Microsoft rather than SE.

And You will need a real Windows Data Server, no UNIX NAS box

Search here for Solid Edge Fast Search, Data Management and so on and You will find plenty of tutorials, tips and hints over the last two years.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

@hawcad wrote:

So install the Solid Edge Fast Search on the server, set it up according to Your needs and cretae the index.

From mow on this index database can be used from avery client.

As long as You connect to that "UNC share" and not using a mapped drive.

Hi Wolfgang,

Can you explain what you mean by the last sentence? Our data is stored on a server folder with UNC path \\FS01\Data That location is mapped as G:\ drive for all users. They browse to their data via G:\ but paths in Design Manager appear as \\FS01\Data. When do I run into trouble with mapped drives?

Hi @vongahlen,

what I remember from ST9, when DM was introduced, there was a reminder to only use UNC connections rather than mapped drives.
Since this was a MS recommendation.
I think mapped drives are old methods and do not fully support all network features, probably indexing too.
regards
Wolfgang

Re: INDEXING DRAWINGS

Imho:

1) The index has to be built by the server and not by the (remote) workstation.

Cattura.PNG

2) If the solid edge built in data management is used, actually it is not possible to restrict a search to a certain file type or a certain directory and its subdirs. So I unchecked the option and now it works the old good way.

Cattura1.PNG

Phenom
Phenom

You have to log on to the server with an administrator account.

You can do this directly if it has its own keyboard, mouse and screen or remotely from one of your workstations using Remote Desktop in windows.

Once logged in you need to install Solid Edge Fast Search.

Then index the drive. It might take some time if you have a lot of data.

On your workstations the vault definition has to use the full server path to your cad data as in \\servername\folder etc.

You can't use a mapped drive letter.

This path is defined in the FastSearchScope.txt file.

We locate this file on the server so it doesn't have to be maintained on every workstation.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Well! Now it's time to call our technical company support. I send this discussion and after their reply I will let you know why we designers have no possibility to access the server (for greater security)

Hi @And_M_One 

search for "Data Management" here in the forum and the blog and the knowledge base.

There are several psotings and articles concerning DM with a lot of use- and helpful informations.

IMportant for the server side is, I think, a psot by @uk_dave with a link to MS related sides showing registry hacks on the server to increase the indexing speed there.

Very important IMHO!

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@And_M_One 

We have outside support here, but also an in-house system manager.

Myself and one other also have access to a "cadadmin" account that has some admin rights.

This is the account we use for installing, updating and managing Solid Edge.

Ordinary users can't log in to the server - for obvious reasons.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.