Solved! Go to solution

Icons in customised ribbon bar

[ Edited ]

We had some self made macro's we inserted in our ribbon bar. In ST4, you could assign an icon on a macro, now in ST6 a don't find tha assign button anymore. Is there another way to assign icons to a macro, so they are better recognized?

Strange thing: Some icons survived the update to ST6, some did not.

thx, Johan

16 REPLIES

Re: Icons in customised ribbon bar

Just to understand more clearly, these are not add-ins but rather macros added via the Customize Ribbon command?

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

[ Edited ]

Yes, macros; exe-files we got from a company that wrote them for us. With ST4, we could assign an icon on the button when inserting in the ribbon bar. Not in ST6?

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Johan
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

It appears it is no longer possible to specifiy an icon when the macro is added to the ribbon, however as part of authoring an EXE the author can assign an icon before he compiles it, which would be best practice if an icon was desired.  For instance this was done for the macro shown below called "SEtitle.exe"...

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

exe files are +10 years old - and still work :-)

Company don't exist anymore, no original code, so...

I'm from the developer forum and am over here trolling... Hey, it's what I do. You can actually modify the .exe resources after the fact with tools like Visual Studio or "resource hacker" type applications available with a simple google search.

If I had access to the .exe and desired image, I'd be happy to take a stab at making it work.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

how can we hide the file names of macros when we add them to the ribbon bar?

I like to only see the icon yet idealy have the macro file show when you hover the icon

my apologies the file does appear when you hover over the icon now

Right-click on the button when customizing and select 'No Text'.

This won't show the macro file name on the button but will display it in the tooltip.

[ Edited ]

Jason, additionally I noticed the single ico file should have multiple size definitions like 16x16 and 32x32 within it to show when the button is small and large respectively. Axialis icon maker has this facility. What are your thought about this ?