Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image pattern

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Goodmorning everyone. my question today is a bit special. how can I with solid Edge having a graphic or a vectorial image project on the whole surface this image filling all the faces as if it were a pattern? Probably to do certain things solid edge can not do it, but I ask you that you are definitely more experienced. I attach image.
10 REPLIES 10

Betreff: Image pattern

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @And_M_One

You can use a Texture and a Bump Style onto it.

Define a Face Style with those two properties and use it for that part faces/color.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Maybe I did not explain well ... I have to create a feature because then I have to save a stl for 3d printing. from what you explain to me is to activate the texture. Could you show me what you mean by a video? thank you so much
Highlighted

Hi @And_M_One

OK, for a real feature this is not the method to achieve it.

You will need a curve image or better a sketch (DXF,DWG) to place onto the face of YOur part and then You can use this for a normal cutout.

But I think, this will not be a matter of a one shot feature.

Suppose there are several steps necessary to get the result as You want it.

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Image pattern

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Good evening @And_M_One

The only way I was able to create a single contiguous or seamless surface was by wrapping a sketch, a rectangle, over the surface of a rounded box, creating derived curves and a bounded surface, then applying a textured face style to it.

Ignoring the seam which was some miscalculation, is this what you are looking for when you say

"image project on the whole surface this image filling all the faces"

WrappedMap.png

And no; a bump map texture cannot be used to create a deformation on a Solid Edge body.

This falls in the realms of modeling programs like 3D Studio Max where it is a single-click operation using displacement maps.

<EDIT> Another simple method to create a single surface would be to create a BlueSurf between the top and bottom faces of the block. This will also not leave any seam as seen in the image above.

The face style applied will also stretch over the entire surface without getting split at the edges.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

You can use "wrap sketch" to wrap a sketch over multiple surfaces, however, you can't wrap on the whole surfaces in one shot.

wrap.png

P.S.: In italian language it is called "Sagoma schizzo"

Then you can use the "normal cutout" to engrave the surface

wrap.pngIn italian it is called "Scavo normale"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi to all!

After many test this is the result.... On video and on reality. Printed by SLS printer. Smiley Happy

IMG2.jpegIMG1.jpeg

Hi @And_M_One 

great job!

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I would like to specify that the hands are not mine!! Smiley LOL