Highlighted

Implementing Standard Parts Library across multiple geographical locations

Genius
Genius

Currently, we are not using the Standard Parts Library.  We are making plans to implement it however we have two geographical locations.  We have a server at each location with a VPN that synchronizes/mirrors the files from one server to the other that we refer to as the "tunnel".  What we have noticed is that if we try to open the files at the alternate location, it can take much longer than just accessing the same files on the local server.  For example, today I tried opening an assembly directly from the offsite server and it took15 minutes to open the assembly.  To open the same mirrored file on the local server took 15 seconds.  

With that said, I do not believe storing the Standard Parts Library on only one server will suffice.  Instead, I suspect we will need to store them in a folder that auto-syncronizes with the other server.  We are working in an unmanaged environment.  Could this approach pose an issue?  If a new part is generated at one location, I know the file will automatically mirror itself onto the other server (similarly to how Google Drive works) but I'm not sure if there are other issues I have not anticipated and looking for everyone's thoughts.

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP
1 REPLY

Re: Implementing Standard Parts Library across multiple geographical locations

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I can't address the multiple locations issue but having some experience with the standard parts library and the Solidworks approach, and various other places that make and maintain their own library, I prefer the latter.

Using the standard parts tool you can generate the ones you're interested in, copy them to a folder set for the purpose. And rename them. The naming convention, IMO, stinks.

Plus the tool is somewhat limited in what it offers so you end making your own in some cases anyway.

And the administrator interface is awful. Try adding a part to it. I haven't succeeded yet and the process is not friendly at all. Of course, help documentation, like most SE help, is nothing to brag about.

Just my .02.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200