Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import 3D sketch from another part

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear all,

I need your suggestion for solve a problem that afflict me with a drawing...

I'm building a condensing unit for a blast chiller, so I draw some pipes using 3d sketch (I haven't the routing package), and I need to cover those pipes with a isolation gum, so in the beginning I took the pipe, copy it and change material and dimension to create the isolation.

My problem is that every time I make a modification to the pipe, the modification is not made also on the isolation.

When I was an Inventor user, I normally use the function "import sketch from" and I took the 3D sketch of the coper pipe, and every time I made some changes to the pipe, the isolation gum follow them.

Is it possible to do the same in ST9 ?

I attach a file with one of my pipes, if you want to try.

TIA for answering

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Import 3D sketch from another part

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Davide_Parolin,

In this case, I would use a "Part Copy" of your pipe, brought in as "Construction" surfaces, then use the "Thicken" command, with "Chain" selection, to make the insulation.......this will update to match, as you alter the master pipe. See my example file, that references your part, as attached.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP5] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @SeanCresswell,

thanks for your quick reply, cannot open the file because I'm ST9 and you ST10, but I undersood what you meant, and it works!!

Thanks a lot!

Hi @Davide_Parolin

another approach and even in one and the same file might be, to use a multibody design for that.

You have one body for the pipe and a second one (with copy outer surface and thicken) for the isolation.

The only issue here would be, that the material would be the same so You will get a false reszlt in physical properties (weight) but it would be very easy to model and to change and the BOM structure also might be more lean

Take it as a trial

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi@hawcad,

I tried also your solution, but even if it's very simple to use, it has the problem that I have to manage the lenght and the size of my isolation (so it has to be on the BOM), and also, I must have the possibility to turn on and off the isolation for project pourposes, and with your solution is a little bit labrious to do it: I tried with suppression variable and adjustable part, but it's easyer to group all the isolation in one group and turn it on or off.

Anyway thanks for your precious help.

Davide

Hi @Davide_Parolin

as said, this only was a fast idea when reading Your request first.

If You are using xPressRoute or Structure Frames , You can have a basic referenc part with the 3D sketches in it and use them for several other parts/pipes or frames.

Changing the master would be reflected in all wheer this is used

regards
Wolfgang