Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import a simple work from sketchup to solid edge

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello, can anybody help me? I have a simple furniture work designed in sketchup and I send to a wood cut company to cut the pieces, they work with solid edge but they can't open the files that I send... how can I export or they import? Which will be the compatible archive to work 2 programs correctly together?

Thanks

5 REPLIES

Betreff: Import a simple work from sketchup to solid edge

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @corpens

You can save Your model as IFC which can be opened by Solid Edge

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

It seems stl and dxf/dwg can be other solution.

link

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Imics

I would like to say, that STL is not the best preference due to the fact it will create a meshbody only, 
which is course on one hand as well as large in size and poor in speed on the other.

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Import a simple work from sketchup to solid edge

Experimenter
Experimenter

See this link for a tried and true way to get accurate CAD geometry out of SketchUp. You won't get solids but I think Solid Edge can import DWG, right?

Phenom
Phenom

hawcad wrote:

Hi @Imics

I would like to say, that STL is not the best preference due to the fact it will create a meshbody only, 
which is course on one hand as well as large in size and poor in speed on the other.

My Friend,

It depends on complexity of geometry. Prior to 10 it was a difficult thing, but ST10 provides some nice tool to edit stl file like Reverse Engineering, Convergent modeling... I did some nice job with them...

If @corpens will share some pics about his model, I can give answer about solutions...

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/