Importing Assembly STP to Metric Assy, parts are made in Inches??

I have an STP file I am importing into ST9 MP3 Metric Assembly file.

The assembly comes in as Metric, but the parts files are created in Inch format.

Is this due to STP model or a Solid Edge settings issue?

Model Attached. I had to put in a ZIP file, site does not allow STP files as attechements for some reason.

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development
Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA
T +1 419 525 8554

gary.dinges@emerson.com

3 REPLIES

Re: Importing Assembly STP to Metric Assy, parts are made in Inches??

I think it depends on what unit settings are in your part template files which are set in Options/Helpers/Set Default Templates. In any case this isn't AutoCad and units are arbitrary. In other words the imports are "real world" scale and either unit setting will reveal the true size. You could just change the units in the parts to metric.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Bruce,

I have seperate part files for Inch & metric. Same as supplied SE file templates.

These work as intended with metric & inch units.

Could you import that step file for me and see if it does the same thing?

Gary

[ Edited ]

Yes it does. If I select an assembly template that has metric units set it will be metric at the assembly. But the parts are in inch because my default part templates are set to inch units. Since you only pick the assembly template when importing, and not the part template, the part templates will be your default templates.

My point is that it doesn't matter because you can just change the units in the parts after they're generated. Or you change your default part templates to metric so they import that way. Either way the units reflect the true values. A part in inch units will measure a 1" feature as 1. If in metric units it will measure as 25.4.

Units are just a setting for the dimensional interface. It doesn't affect the actual model unlike AutoCad where you need to know the original scale.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200