Importing dwg of multi page assembly drawing from Cadkey to Solid Edge

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I'm starting to have compatibility issues between our old copy of Cadkey 99 and Windows 10.  I have a lot of drawings in Cadkey and have started the process of doing a dwg (or dxf)  transfer to Solid Edge.  The problem I'm running into is how to handle multiple page assembly drawings.  In Cadkey, each page is its own file.  In Solid Edge you can have multiple pages in one file but there's a catch - handling the 2D model view in a Solid Edge draft file with multiple layers consisting of the imported information.  Here is my work flow:

1.  Export 7 dwg files from each of the7 pages of a Cadkey drawing

2.  Make a new Solid Edge draft file

3.  Import a dwg file and place it on the related sheet in SE using 2D model

4.  Import another dwg and place it on another layer in the 2D model sheet.

The catch is I'll have 7 layers of information on the 2D model view but they all have to be visible in order to be seen on their respective pages.  So it looks like I'll have to have all of the imported items visible on sheet 2, but physically separated in some manner so they are not piled on top of each other.

The other option, of course, is to re-model the assembly in Solid Edge and make a new drawing, but I've got thousands of Cadkey drawings that would have to be done this way and it could take a long time to do (months if not years).  

It seems I cannot assign a level in 2D model to a page in the drawing and have that always show on the page even if the level is off in 2D model.

Confusing enough?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
4 REPLIES

Re: Importing dwg of multi page assembly drawing from Cadkey to Solid Edge

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Why not just put them on the working sheets?  You can use the "Draft View" command to insert them into if they need scaled on the working sheets to fit.  You will need to add it to the ribbon.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Ken,

That just might be the answer!  I've never used that command but it looks like it will work and keep the pages separate.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks again!

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It's an older command that was before the 2D Model Sheet and 2D Model View.  They took it off the menus/ribbons, but it's still there and works well.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

PLM World Member Phenom

Ah ha,

One of those hidden gems like split part that is still there but overshadowed by multi body.

Draft view looks like the ticket so solve the problem in the interim - much cleaner than my efforts in 2D model.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1