Solved! Go to solution

Importing from flatbed scanner

1)   I have a flatbed scanner that I want to use to get the general shape of an item then build the part from that shape. I have to use the scanner on an older computer because of the driver for the scanner, and save it, then try to import it. Can this be done and what file type does it have to be. Can it be jpeg or other graphic file type? I am using Solidedge St6.

2)    Is there a way to change the program to use a different browser instead of IE. I want to use chrome. I just spent 4 hours getting rid of stuff that IE allowed in. Pop up and alike. I use pop up blockers and other programs but I was not able to use SE because of all the pop ups. Thanks.

4 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author wolfeman
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Importing from flatbed scanner

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

1) You need to place an image inside the sketch environment. [Method descibed in Ordered mode...only varies slightly, for Synchronous] While in sketch mode, go to the "Tools" tab and the "Insert" group has "Profile" and "Image" entities. From the "Insert Image" dialogue select "Browse", and then "Files of type" to select the format from the list.

2)  No,....Solid Edge is coded to call Internet Explorer. I pressume you are finding the issue when looking at the internet based Help. What you can do is copy the address to your Chrome browser, then add it to bookmarks.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thank you so much for your reply. That is exactly what I was looking for!!!!

You hit the nail on the head when you talked about IE and the help information being on the internet.

You're very welcome.  Robot Happy

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I have done tons of tracing in varius CAD programs.

Best thing you can do is add a known square to the page being scanned (say an 8" square around the things to be scanned).

Once you get the image into CAD, then you can draw that square, then adjust the image to scale and square.