Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing into SE

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

I have just recently come back to SE having been lurking in the SW realm for a while. I have some Max files 3DS that I need to import into ST10. I don't use MAX so need to import. As well these are Govt provided files so I need to maintain integrety. Ithought I had found a "add-In" file that would allow me to do this but it refuses to show up in the menu display thingy ;-]  Not sure if I was doing that wrong or what in that case. Would be nice to have that type of thing work.

So my inevitable newbie question is how can I import a 3DS file directly? Or does anyone know of a add-on that does work? The most recent post in the forum here was a few years old and the answer was the load Max, convert, save as, etc etc. Any help or hints would be appreciated.

TNX!

Dave

The only way I maintain my slim grip on reality is due to the friendship I share with my singing potatoes
7 REPLIES

Re: Importing into SE

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I would search for a 3DS to STL converter since from what I understand the 3DS file is a tessalated representation and SE supports STL for that data type.

Found the following just looking briefly.  Know nothing about it but they claim to have a free trial...

https://www.reaconverter.com/convert/3ds_to_stl.html

Ken
Production: ST10 MP7, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Betreff: Importing into SE

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Hello,

if you need only the graphic it is possible to convert 3ds to stl and stl is to import into SE.

Spin3d, 3DRACS 1.8.0 can be as examples a help here for converting.

Next step can be here to get the colours exported with it.

For this, it is a good way to convert 3ds to skp and skp to step (stp) and import it into SE.

Best Regards

Wolfgang

Re: Importing into SE

Experimenter
Experimenter

KennyG your suggestion worked great for getting the basic file converted to something ST10 can digest!

I think it took longer to install than it did to convert three large files. Was half expecting it to grind away get to 99% and error out or just cause my workstation to halt and catch fire the usual result of thrid party utilities lol.

Thanks!

The only way I maintain my slim grip on reality is due to the friendship I share with my singing potatoes

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Wolfgang will have to check out that 3DRACS software a bit as another project needs a simple 3D scan setup.

@KingDWS, I think you should ditch your CAD ventures and concentrate on propogating spuds.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter

Shhhh its spring and potatoes tend to get a little "randy". You shouldn't even think about things like that unless you are wearing a mil-spec tinfoil hat!

@KingDWSwrote:

Shhhh its spring and potatoes tend to get a little "randy". You shouldn't even think about things like that unless you are wearing a mil-spec tinfoil hat!

Always! If they really sing it could be better than bitcoin.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200