Importing surfaces from another program

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ok. We work with a lot of surface files from RXXXX that are imported through IGES. Often, we get duplicate surfaces on a face. Is there anyway to "purge" duplicate surfaces automatically?

Regards

Peter

6 REPLIES

Re: Importing surfaces from another program

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Don't know the exact answer to your question, but I will say that no one I know uses IGES anymore (in the last 10 years). It's all STEP or Parasolid now. I'd suggest trying to move to STEP for example...

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dan

Thanks for the reply. We definitely agree that STEP is the preferred method for translating but unfortunately we don't always control what we have to import.

As always, there are work arounds!

Regards

Peter

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

We still use IGES. IGES for single file and STP for assemblies. few of our small  tool suppliers request IGES.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Did you try opening the IGES and then saving as STEP?

Then open the STEP with every option checked except Boolean solids.

Experiment with options when you save and re-open.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Legend
Legend
one quick note regarding IGES, like Dan said it may not be used natively in a long time but I know with the version of Polyworks I use it's the only type of export available. This is when using a Romer arm to probe a part and create simple planes, circles, cones and cylinders, I select all features and when exporting IGES is the sole option, or lack of I should say.
-Craig

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have tried the export as STEP and then re-opening the STEP but without much success. The native file is, for lack of a better term, so broken up that it did not help. In fact some of the surfaces I could not even edit them (extend, trim, etc). IN the end of the day, we end up re-drawing a lot of the geometry so that we can stitch it together.