Impossible sheet corner

Phenom
Phenom

Do any of you other sheet metal people have a solution to the following problem?

My goal is to have two things happen.

#1 the flat pattern is a rectangle with a 45" cham in one corner. No beavled edges

#2 the chamfer cut lives inside the plastic zone of a 2 way corner

Attached are two attemps to make this. I can't find a way to make the cuts work for this. I don't care if the cut is done on the bent part or in unbent state. I don't want to make edits to the actual flat pattern becuase that does not show up in the bent part.

7 REPLIES

Re: Impossible sheet corner

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE,

Would something like the attached work for you?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Legend
Legend

12GAGE wrote:

Do any of you other sheet metal people have a solution to the following problem?

My goal is to have two things happen.

#1 the flat pattern is a rectangle with a 45" cham in one corner. No beavled edges

#2 the chamfer cut lives inside the plastic zone of a 2 way corner

Attached are two attemps to make this. I can't find a way to make the cuts work for this. I don't care if the cut is done on the bent part or in unbent state. I don't want to make edits to the actual flat pattern becuase that does not show up in the bent part.

Hows the part made? punched?  whats the corner treatment for the finished part? left as a corner joint or welded closed?

-Craig

Phenom
Phenom

Thank Sean, but no that will not work. The cham needs to cross the 2 way corner in the plastic zone.

This would be used for lids of sheet metal tanks that are seal welded.

Attached is one more attempt at the part and a screen shot of what is being used now.

The sheet metal is punched then folded then welded.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE,

Oh, I think I get it now, a single "corner notch" that folds up to a closed corner......not really something the software can do, without some trickery, as it relies on relief, even if microscopic, at bend junctions.

So if this type of profile actually works for you in the real world, then this version [attached] "might" be the only way to CAD that process, for that result.

2017-06-16.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

That's as close as I can get too. I fight close corners every day. I am able to have cuts through the plastic zone of close corners, but only if the cuts are perpendicular to the bend radius on both sides of the corner.

I wish the program would let me cut the unbent sheet without restrictions or let me add a bend without removing material. About 20% of everything I make would use these details if I could.

This is even more impossible with sync and why I hate sync. Without unbend-rebend or normals cuts that work around a corner (They don't) I will never be able to use Sync. 

I think my best solution is to ask for an enhansement for a new version of 3 way corner.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The sheet metal function has not changed much over the years.
The multi-flange feature available in Works is still missing.

There are so many parts of sheet metal that can not be synchronized.
Corner treatment should also be improved.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Hclee

can You explain what this MultiFlange Fetaure is doing?

regards
Wolfgang