Including Sketches/Curves when Exporting to Step

Builder
Builder

I'm trying to save a part as a step file.  In this part I have a sketch on a face to show a tool path for sigle line text.  Does anyone know why the sketch isn't being included on the generated step file?  I'm using ST8, MP2.

Capture.JPG

Thanks,

Matt

3 REPLIES

Re: Including Sketches/Curves when Exporting to Step

MLombard
Retired

I've never known sketches to be exported to STEP in any format. One option for transmitting a 2D element is to create a surface, and trim it with the sketch, or use the sketch to extrude a surface or solid body, and make sure the body transmits.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The "Export wires" option works with 3D sketches not 2D sketch features.

Builder
Builder

I have my seat of Creo set up to export curve geometry like single line text in step format...

Capture1.JPG

This allows the CAM programmer to use the sketches in Delcam or NX as center lines for cutter paths instead of trying to carve out a block text feature.  The shape of the cutter creates the profile of the text feature (depth/draft/etc.).

Capture2.JPG

Solid Edge only uses True Type fonts that are not single line.  I created polylines from Autocad text and importing it to a sketch in Solid Edge, but it didn't transfer to step.

Does anyone know if there's a better workaround?  I'm not sure what Matt meant regarding surfacing.  Maybe NX CAM has engraving options that will solve all my problems.

Thanks.