Inconsistent Thread Depiction?

Hello all - I'm new to Solid Edge, and am using ST4.

I have created a couple 3D models using synchronous tech, and from those created 2D drawings. Both parts have cut views.

In one part, the threaded holes are displayed correctly on one end, but on the other end the major diameter lines end before the champfer. (See attachment "champfer end") Is there any way to fix that?

In my other part, the minor diameter isn't showing at all (see attachment "missing minor diameter") - it looks instead like a regular hole, even though the top view clearly shows the thread designation. Is there a setting somewhere that I don't have selected in order to show this as a threaded hole in a section view? 

10 REPLIES

Re: Inconsistent Thread Depiction?

[ Edited ]

Hi there @JLMA,

In regards to the chamfer end, it looks to me [hard to say for sure, without eyeballing the model] like the thread extent is not set "To Hole Extent", which should give the result you're looking for.

For the second issue, it'd be the nominal diameter that is not displayed here, yeah?, as the actual hole in the material is shown correctly.....I'm thinking back to ST4 [even yesterday was a long time ago for me Robot wink ] there was a setting in SE-Options, or the section view properties for this.

What ST4 maintenance pack are you on? [find this info like my picture below... mine is 108.00.03.004 x64]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Try these two settings. I found in order to change the view appearance after change the mode setting I had to go to advanced view settings in view props, turn on process intersections, update the view, then turn off again.

Give it a shot.

Edit: You can also toggle "show" of the affected part in the display tab of view properties instead of using the advanced tab. Apparently anything that causes a serious regen.

Or: none of this helps you at all.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP6 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi JLMA,
my guess for the second case is, that the section line passes not exactly through the center of the threaded hole. Try a connect relation between the line and the hole center.
Regards JB
regards

JB
VS2013, SE ST9 and lower

@JB It has to be pretty far off to not show threads and it looks darned close to center.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

Spot on @JB......I have always just placed such relations on my cutting plane geometry, but going back & editing it to be off center, indeed makes the thread nolonger display in the section view.

EDIT: actually, it matters which side you are offset to also.....when the cutting plane passes through the circular break side it fails, but go to the other side, and it works as expected. I'd say it's a reportable bug.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

@SeanCresswell I only offset mine to the "good" side apparently. Sorry @JB

Bruce Shand

Thanks for the quick replies!

My maintenance pack is 104.00.00.082, and I'm running the university module, and just to add spice to my life it's in German (I'm studying in Germany), but so far all the commands seem to be located in the same positions as what I see on You Tube videos, the names are just translated.

Toggling the Annotation and Drawing Standards Options didn't change anything.

I re-drew the cut line, redid the section view, in both directions, nothing changed.

BUT I tried a partial view, aligning specifically to the holes, and got one of the two cut-view holes to show the thread lines!! (pic attached)

So now I'm wondering if this is related to the known ST4 bug I read about where only the first of a series of holes shows the threads. I had dismissed that before since all are threaded in the top view. I'm going to spend some time replacing the holes one at a time and see if anything changes. I'll let you know!

I still have the champfer issue, even after I checked the thread depth. If I can fix it with manual sketch tools, I may just leave well enough alone.

JLMA wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies!

My maintenance pack is 104.00.00.082, and I'm running the university module, and just to add spice to my life it's in German....

HI there @JLMA,

Ah, OK....the Student Editition is typically devoid of any "maintenance packs", as they become available to download, and only to those commercial customers on active [paid] maintenance.

Is there anything at your end stopping you from upgrading to the latest version of Student Edition, being ST8?

The reason I ask, is many of the feature stability & enhancements are bundled into the successive releases. Obviously, some bugs still creep in, as the program [as does the system platform] evolves in new directions the developers & users alike, push it towards.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

@JLMA wrote: Toggling the Annotation and Drawing Standards Options didn't change anything.

Did you update view after each setting change? You can't just toggle the setting back and forth.

Bruce Shand