Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Inconsistent material look

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

but I think, that 12gae was not so wrong since I have seen same behaviour here.

And - as far as I have understood - with ST9 all material ionformations and settings should be organized from the material file itself and not longer by settings within the part.

Therefore the new function about update of old material data has been implemented, isn't it?

And changing of the color will be reflected by an info window showing You to update local setting.

I have tested it using the current ST9 templates with the new ST9 metarila files

Setting material to steel will not show any texture as it is not defined in the material file.

I think that here was changed something with loss of texture

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I solved it, but not in the way I hoped. I did not end up with automatically updated styles, but I was able to make the edit fairly quick.

After editing my new templates to the style I wanted, I then updated the materials in SE.

Each file with the non-desired style can then simply edit it to use the new style. I just pick another material then select it back to the original material. Then the look is updated.

The reason it is set up this way is so that any exiting files with edited materials are not lost. If it automatically updated, many would lose the work put into existing files.

In the end, I will still need up update about 2000 files manually, but each edit is quick.

I don't know how to make a macro that figures out what style is selected, select something else, than pick the original style. If I could do that, I could set it up to open...edit...and save every file created since ST9 was released.

As good as it gets for today.

Phenom
Phenom

Tell me, are there any known downsides to staying with my templates that were created in a previous version of edge? Or are there any known upsides to making a template that was originally created in ST9? I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on anything amazing that I am unaware of.....

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I know nothing was updated for sheet metal and don't think anything was updated for draft. Can't speak for parts and surfaces. I do use parts, but don't know what I would look for realtive to format updates.

Highlighted

Legend
Legend

Take a look at my modell styler. It copies many styles and other things from an assembly template (you have to make your desired settings there) to all parts of an open assembly, or to only the opend assembly. It has a batch mode where you can copy the styles to the files selected by drag and drop or to a directory stucture including subfolders.

The homepage is in german, but there are two videos, where you can see how it works.

It's freeware, give it a try.

Greetings from Germany
Christian Kunkel
https://c-k-m.info

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

but I think there is a regress in function and behaviour.

If I just start with ST9 and do not have any old data then the look and like of the material will be different and IMHO worse then it was before

Textures should be defined witin the delivered material databeses as it was former to ST9, isn't it?

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@nominus38 All I normally do is open the 'old' template, ST8 version for example, in the new Solid Edge and re-save to make it an ST9 file. That way your templates haven't changed, but it's a current version file.

To be honest I'm not sure this is even necessary as any new parts you create are saved as the current file versionregardless of what version the template is. It won't prevent you using new features etc.