Solved! Go to solution

Inconsistent material look

For ST8, the defualt material steel had a bit of texture (bumpmap) to it. In ST9 it does not. 

I could care less what look is used, but I would like to have all of the materials looks be consistant.

When I edit the material away and back to steel or use the part painter, my results are not changing. I can still tell if the part was created before or after installing ST9

Is this a Bug in ST9-MP0 or am I missing something?

16 REPLIES

Re: Inconsistent material look

I'm guessing it's because face styles are saved in the old parts. You would have to use the style organizer to match an ST9 template to an ST8 part. Did you keep your templates from ST8 or make new ones with ST9 styles?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

So I have to edit every part I created since ST9 install (about 2000 files)? (The other way around would be 38,000 files). GRRRRRRR

No method is avaiable to make everything match with settings in the software?

I would think you could keep using your old ST8 templates. Or at least certain styles from the old templates so your new parts look like your old ones.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

I did make new templates to make sure any of the file format details that were updated were not wrong. Guess I screwed myself by not digging into materials right of. Too late now. I will have to live with it and edit if I'm making a screen shot or shaded view (I dont have keyshot).

I don't think it would cause any problem to copy your old face styles to the new templates. If you use the organizer in styles it's pretty easy.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

I can't copy my old style from any files. The Manage Styles is grayed out when I open any older files with the style I want to use. If I switch away and back to the material steel, then I get the new style.

I.E. I can't figure out how to get a handle on my old style to reuse it.

[ Edited ]

open your new template(s), open the styles dialog, click the organizer button. On the right your new template is represented. On the left browse to an old part and copy the relevant style from the left to the right. Might have to delete (or rename first) new styles with same name as old styles. Or forget the organizer and just modify the new style to match the old style.

styleorg.JPG

Bruce Shand

Or maybe texture is just turned of in your new parts.

Bruce Shand

I finally figured it out. Thank you.

The last time I messed with materials was about two years ago. Set and forget.

I was able to overwrite the new style with my old style. It still does not change files automatically, but I can easily update files to the old style.