Independent Detail View Question

Builder
Builder

I'm not fully understanding the intent of the independent detail view option.  In Creo, I typically create a detail view from a detail view.  This doesn't appear possible in Solid Edge without making the "parent" detail view independent.

I guess my question is what really happens when you make a view independent and is there a way to update it if something changes?  Or is it a dead 2d view like in an old 2d cad program.

Thanks,

Matt

10 REPLIES

Re: Independent Detail View Question

Genius
Genius

When you make a regular detail view it shows precisely what is in the view from which it was taken. There are no options to alter the display from the parent view.

With the independent detail view you have more control over the view. You can show additional hidden lines, use a different view configuration, etc. without impacting the primary view. The independent view is still completely linked and will update if model changes are made.

Basically use the regualr detail if you don't need additinal control for viewing. Use independent if you need to have control over the view in regard to display.

As far as detail views from detail views, that capability is there. You should not need to make it independent to be ble to do this.

Bob Henry

Manager of Engineering - Highwall Miners
Caterpillar Global Mining LLC
Houston, PA

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Just curious, how long has the indepedent detail view been around? 

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

It has been there a long time. I don't recall what version it was added, but it was well before the ST versions arrived as best I recall.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting. It seems newer to me. I've been using Edge for years and this capability would have been useful fairly recently but I either missed it or it didn't exist.

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius

I looked back over old Solid Edge What's New information, and it looks like it was introduced in V19.

I actually thought it was older than that, but I have been using the software for so long (since V3.5) that all of the changes are a blurr at this point.

Bob Henry

Houston, PA
Highlighted

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks. I totally whiffed on that one. Could have used it all that time.

Bruce Shand

Builder
Builder

Thanks for all the comments.  In my case, the independent view option appears to be useless though with the latest version of ST7.  Once I moved a parent view, the independent view reorients itself even though the detail envelope stays in place.  I was not able to correctly create a detail view from a detail view until I made it independent either.

Genius
Genius

What maintenance update are you running. It sound slike something is definitely not working correctly for you. I assure you that I use the detail views regularly and they work quite well.

Bob Henry

Houston, PA

Builder
Builder

I'm on MP8.  Something's definately out of whack.  I originally rotated my detail view 90° and now it says it's 180°  Detail views work fine for me until I make them independent.  But I can't create a detail view from a detail view correctly unless I do so.  It will create the view but it's not visible.  Only the callout and detail envelope shows up from it's parent.  Very bizarre.