Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inner-Part Copies Missing Features

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem.  I create and edit parts within top down assemblies in ordered mode.  Within these parts, I use a lot of inner-part copies of other parts in the assembly.  I typically add an inter-part copy, then select "body" from the pull down menu to select the entire part.

Too frequently, I find that some of the features are later missing from my inner-part copies such as patterns, extrusions etc.  Updating or Editing the inner-part copy and reselecting the body does not fix the problem.  It is possible to edit and select "features", then select the entire part with a window to re-capture all the features. The part is correct in the assembly itself, but not as an inner-part copy.

Sometimes the design body actually turns into a construction body for some reason.  The latest one didn't turn my design body into a construction, buy grays it out.

This happens so sporadically that I cannot trace back to what I might have done wrong, but it causes a lot of unnecessary work.  Sometimes it fixes itself.  Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice?

Kind Regards,

Matt

5 REPLIES

Re: Inner-Part Copies Missing Features

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Might be helpful to know what version of SE you are using and to provide an example and/or video to help explain this.  I have not personally seen any issue such as this, but we do not use inter-part copies very often.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Ken,

Thanks for responding...  This is happening with ST8, all service packs.  I think I figured out what's happening, but don't know why.  The links in my parts are somehow freezing.  I can right-click and unfreeze all links and the missing features return to my inner-part copies  (at least the couple I had today).  I don't have a good understanding of what the freeze/unfreeze option is for, or how to keep this from happening.

Thanks,

Matt

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The "Freeze" function simply allows a user to to prevent an Inter-part link from updating automatically, but can be unfrozen when you want it to update again.

As far as I know, the freezing of inter-part links can only be done by the user and is saved with the file.  I don't believe there is any automatic process that does this.  Glad you found the remedy, but I'm curious as to what caused the issue...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

May be a bug in Solid Edge.  The inner-part manager does not show any frozen links, but the unfreeze command fixes the missing features.

Matt

Legend
Legend
I create parts with similar steps daily, frequently having same inter-part copy issues. 99% of the time I have to use the tools "update active level" or within interpart manager "update all" usually takes under a minute to resave and update all the links.
-Craig