Inner-Part Copies Missing Features

I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem.  I create and edit parts within top down assemblies in ordered mode.  Within these parts, I use a lot of inner-part copies of other parts in the assembly.  I typically add an inter-part copy, then select "body" from the pull down menu to select the entire part.

Too frequently, I find that some of the features are later missing from my inner-part copies such as patterns, extrusions etc.  Updating or Editing the inner-part copy and reselecting the body does not fix the problem.  It is possible to edit and select "features", then select the entire part with a window to re-capture all the features. The part is correct in the assembly itself, but not as an inner-part copy.

Sometimes the design body actually turns into a construction body for some reason.  The latest one didn't turn my design body into a construction, buy grays it out.

This happens so sporadically that I cannot trace back to what I might have done wrong, but it causes a lot of unnecessary work.  Sometimes it fixes itself.  Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice?

Kind Regards,

Matt

5 REPLIES

Re: Inner-Part Copies Missing Features

Might be helpful to know what version of SE you are using and to provide an example and/or video to help explain this.  I have not personally seen any issue such as this, but we do not use inter-part copies very often.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Hi Ken,

Thanks for responding...  This is happening with ST8, all service packs.  I think I figured out what's happening, but don't know why.  The links in my parts are somehow freezing.  I can right-click and unfreeze all links and the missing features return to my inner-part copies  (at least the couple I had today).  I don't have a good understanding of what the freeze/unfreeze option is for, or how to keep this from happening.

Thanks,

Matt

[ Edited ]

The "Freeze" function simply allows a user to to prevent an Inter-part link from updating automatically, but can be unfrozen when you want it to update again.

As far as I know, the freezing of inter-part links can only be done by the user and is saved with the file.  I don't believe there is any automatic process that does this.  Glad you found the remedy, but I'm curious as to what caused the issue...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

May be a bug in Solid Edge.  The inner-part manager does not show any frozen links, but the unfreeze command fixes the missing features.

Matt

I create parts with similar steps daily, frequently having same inter-part copy issues. 99% of the time I have to use the tools "update active level" or within interpart manager "update all" usually takes under a minute to resave and update all the links.