Insert Assembly Copy - what's the purpose or advantage of using it?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've checked the help menu and I still don't see the benefit to using the Insert Assembly Copy feature.  (At least for us.)  Can someone shed some light on the pro's and con's of this feature?

10 REPLIES

Re: Insert Assembly Copy - what's the purpose or advantage of using it?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Mostly used here for mirrored assemblies.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What @bshand said about mirrored assys.  You can also use them instead of Family of Assemblies if you build your 150% assembly containing all your options and then IAC that into separate files and Exclude certain parts that do not belong in that specific discreet assembly.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What I find confusing is that it duplicates the child parts in Design Manager, but it looks normal in the assembly environment.  See the screen shots below.  The one on the LS is from the assembly environment & the one on th RS is from Design Manager.

We use an extraction program for our BOM's and this definately messes things up.  I have no choice, but to inform our users to avoid using this "feature".

iac.JPG

asm tree.JPGdesign mgr tree.JPG

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure what the problem you see is. It doesn't really duplicate the child files it just points to the same ones in the original unless you exclude them. And if you mirror any you get new files with "_mir" at the end of the name.

Edit: I should have left out the word "child" as this would only apply to mirrors and only if you left them in ordered mode. The only new file would be the new assembly unless you mirror components.

Bruce Shand

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@MikeSaari, I'm with @bshand and not seeing anything out of the ordinary and am not understanding what you mean by "duplicating the child parts" as the structures appear to match with the exception of DM showing only one occurence of a file where Assy shows each occurence.

Thanks,
Ken

Highlighted

Legend
Legend

Hi @bshand and @Grundey,

The problem we encountered with the assembly copy is that it appears to be promoting the children of the Inserted Assembly Copy.  It is not making copies of the parts on disk.  If you look at the part tree in Design Manager the children of the assembly that was inserted as a copy exist under the top level assembly, as well as under the inserted assembly.  I assume this is desired behavior and is useful for some applications. 

I think you have answered our question in confirming what insert assembly copy actually does.  In our scenario since the BOM structure is different using the insert assembly copy we need to just bring that assembly in as a sub assembly to replicate the manufacturing routings.  For example we weld up an assembly, it has a part number; then it goes out for plating, when it comes back it gets a new number even though the model is pretty much the same.  We need the plated model's parts list to only pull the raw weldment to match the data in our PDM.  The Insert Part Copy was working well for this, because then the linked documents would pull the copied part which would show up in our BOM just as it should.  Insert Assembly Copy works differently from the linked documents perspective.

I can see this being effective for mirrored assemblies, only problem is the _mir suffix.  Would need to make sure we go through and rename to proper part numbers.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@bnemec I see what you are saying... Yes, the selected Assy that is inserted as an Assembly Copy is "dissolved" as a file leaving the components under it as the first level in the new assembly.

Thanks,
Ken

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@bnemec, Just bringing in the weldment assembly as a sub in a new assembly is also useful for the machining step after welding. You can apply assembly features for the machining features to be detailed with the subassy as an item in the BOM.

The IAC "promotes" files because you can exclude components and, of course, create mirrors. I never thought about the fact that the pathfinder displays differently than DM in that the pathfinder only shows the promoted file when you expand the inserted asm whereas DM displays them at the same level.

I'm not sure THAT makes sense.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

Thank you gentlemen, I learned a bit about inserting an assembly copy.  I had assumed that one could only add to the inserted copy, not remove components.  It is good to know that we can add or subtract.  We do have places where this could make us more efficient, but need to look into some details. 

One issue I can see is down the road if the base assembly that is copied would be become obsolete (moved and no longer updated with changes).  I'm thinking there are work arounds, perhaps having a base assembly that does not get an actual part number from the PDM system and would then never be obs.

Solid Edge has so many features, trying to figure out how to use them within the confines of the rest of our system is the trick.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.