Insert part to asm using Excel file

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello "Fellow Edgers",

one of my customer has strange question which I do not know the answer. So I want to ask here first, before I ask the GTAC.

Imagine an Excel file with hyperlinks of Solid Edge documents (on file system or on Insight). Is there any posibility to insert that part into the opened assembly in Solid Edge by clicking on link in Excel file?

Thank you all in advance for any information.

Ota

8 REPLIES

Re: Insert part to asm using Excel file

I don't think this is supported natively... IF anything I would assume the file would open as a part and not insert into an assembly.

but SE has the exposed API and Excel has embedded VBA...

I think one could easily create a macro in Excel that would hook up to a running instance of SE, Establish the open assembly as the active document, and then insert the selcted file linked from the excel table.

Solution Partner Phenom

Hello Matt,

thank you for reply.

Programming this should be the correct way, because I personally do not think too that SE can do this natively (customer question).

Ota

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Ota,

Do you need for similar to this?

This is not mine, some years ago I found it somewhere. I can share it for a Czech beer ... Smiley Wink

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Solution Partner Phenom

Hi Imre,

very nice video Smiley Happy

If you can share the program, I can use it.

And of course if I will meet you in HSV at the end of the April in HSV, I can bring you a original czech beer Smiley Happy You can even pick the brand Smiley Happy

Ota

Phenom
Phenom

Ota,

I've attached what you need for. Smiley Happy

The beer was "just a joke". Hmmm, a drinking a cold beer at Mark... Why not! Smiley Happy

Have a nice day my friend!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

I know that copy and past the full path + filename works well to insert part in assembly.

So in an excel file you need to copy the text inside the cell not just the cell itself.

Francesco

Solution Partner Phenom

Francesco,

thank you for information.

Imre,

Thank you a lot, I will try it and inform my customer. We will see what we can do with that macro.

If you want taste a czech beer, it is not much problem for me Smiley Happy

Yeah, idea of beer with DevTeam is very temptating. If I will arrive this year to HSV, I will not miss that Smiley Happy

You too take care and hopefully see you in April.

Ota

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

The only way to do this is to write a macro!

We have done this with hyperlinks from Insight. The user is searching for the parts in SharePoint and from the web site with the search result he copied via clipboard (right mouse button "Copy Link") the URL and then it would be pasted into the open assembly automatically.

This is the same technique you can use OOTB in Solid Edge to copy a part from one assembly to another!

This is a nice way to transfer information from one application to another!

Kind regards

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de