Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserted part into assembly is placed way far from origin or other parts

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi, 

I am asking about this silly question because I don't know where else to look for a solution. Basically, I have a machine assembly I am working on, and since recently, whenever I add a new part to it (copying one, or dragging a new one in the window), it inserts extremely far away from the present parts and the origin. I need to zoom out a lot to find it, and then drag it bit by bit on every axis to position it where I need. 

The problem is related to this assembly, and it only happened starting today. But I don't know what caused it and how to solve it. Can't share the asm file, it contains many parts...

Any idea? Thanks. ST9 Ordered btw.

===================================================

ST9 and Ordered environment.
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Inserted part into assembly is placed way far from origin or other parts

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It's really hard to say without seeing the assembly and parts. Are the parts you are placing modeled near the origin within the part file? Are there construction surfaces, ref planes, or anything of that nature displayed within the part files being placed? I would recommend logging an IR and providing the assembly and parts so we can take a look and see what is going on.

Greg

Betreff: Inserted part into assembly is placed way far from origin or other parts

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @-Axel- 

have You shown the assembly coordinate system?

And is it where all the other parts resides or far away?

Do You have caps lock/shift on?

Do You press the Ctrl key while inserting a part?

Since the very first version of Solid Edge, a part which is dragged into an assembly is placed there where You lift the mouse button. And in the position of its preview in pathfinder.

Also a double Click brings it into the assembly but always nearby the pathfinder window and on screen.

I just tested it, with an assembly which also is far away from the coordinate center.

Even if I insert the part while pressing the Ctrl key (which means, the part should be placed fixed at the origin) Solid Edge does a Auto Zoom to show all, the old parts and the newly placed one.

You say, You can not share the assembly due to that many parts in it.

OK.

But what, if You delete all parts execpt a few.

How does the assembly behave then?

If same, maybe You can upload this assembly eeample together with the few parts.

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Inserted part into assembly is placed way far from origin or other parts

Pioneer
Pioneer

The origin is perfectly placed, there are no parts far away. I do not hold control, or shift, or anything when dragging. And I think I didn't have BLOQ anything. 

The part appears where I release the mouse, yes, but in a plane waaaaaaaay in front. So when you rotate even a mm, you lose the part. 

Anyway, for some reason it hasn't been happening in the last couple of hours. Very weird. 

Hi @-Axel- 

is this true only for his single one part for every part You are inserting into that assembly?

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer
It was true for all parts. It's the first thing I tried. But only on that assembly. I tried a different one and it was fine.

Hi @-Axel- 

if You turn on all surfaces in all parts (RMB in graphics area - "Show/Hide Components"), what can You see then?

Maybe there is a single part with an degenerated surface in it, which makes this assembly so tricky.

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

Don't worry too much guys. I don't know why, bit it solved itself. Then it happened again but at a different distance, then again fine. It's weird, but it's not happening now so I can work fine. 

I'll mark a solution to close the thread, although it wasn't really the solution.