Inserting images in a sketch -- resolution turns to crap upon save!

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

I have a colleague who is carrying out some CAD on a large project. The equipment vendor is providing pdf drawings that have screen shots of them inserted into the layout sketches to provide a basis for the geometry at our end. He is finding that the resolution of the inserted images degrades severely once the file is saved. He can close the sketch and work with it just fine and the image looks OK. As soon as he saves the file, the image resolution becomes much coarser and often becomes useless forever after. It is as though Solid Edge is utilizing a very lossy compression method on inserted images when saving.

Is there a setting somewhere that controls the compression of inserted images?

This is with ST6 SP04 BTW.

6 REPLIES

Chris,    There should be no loss on save. Please log an IR.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Chris, 

There should be no loss on save. Please log an IR.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

How are you inserting the images?  Did you save the PDF's...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

How are you inserting the images?  Did you save the PDF's as an image file (BMP, PNG, JPG, TIF) and then use Solid Edge's Insert Image command or did you just paste the PDF's directly?.  If you used the PDF's directly you embedded them in to Draft and SE is not responsible for displaying them.  You would need to use the native Insert Image command and an approriate image format.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Re: How are you inserting the images?  Did you save the PDF's...

PLM World Member Legend
The images have been tried in all formats with the same result -- a loss in quality upon save. This is not in the draft environment -- it is in a sketch in the part environment using the insert image command. One thing that I did not mention is that due to the size of the plant the image has to be scaled up by about 350 times, so maybe that is causing an unexpected side-effect? Perhaps the scaling is amplifying any loss in quality occurring?

Re: Chris,    There should be no loss on save. Please log an IR.

PLM World Member Legend
Will do. I contacted my VAR about this yesterday. I will ask him to raise an IR.

So you are scaling it 350X? This does seem a likely smoki...

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

So you are scaling it 350X? This does seem a likely smoking gun. When is this scaling happening -- inside the Insert Image command? Or are you scaling it outside using some other app and then putting it in SE. Scaling an image that much seems bound to lose a lot of definition.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Re: So you are scaling it 350X? This does seem a likely smoki...

PLM World Member Legend
Yes indeed, 350X. The scaling is done during the Insert Image command by typing in a new value for the width.