Insight File Open Times

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I am troubleshooting slow file open times for a customer and I would like to get a good baseline.

My test database is small and may not be a good reference.

I would like to base the time on an empty cache and opening an average Draft file in review mode.

Also the size of the database or approximate number of files in the system would be helpful.

If anyone can provide this I would appreciate it.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com
10 REPLIES

Re: Insight File Open Times

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We us Insight but I'm not sure what you are asking for someone to provide.

I guess I could provide times to open an assembly draft, number of sheets and views it contains and number of parts in the assembly.

What do you mean by "review mode"?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Solution Partner Phenom

You can open a draft file for review on the File Open dialog.

Review mode will only download the Draft to the cache and open it for viewing and review.

Should be the fastest way to open a Draft from Insight if you just want to look at it.

snip_20160613090852.png

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

OK. Never use it so was oblivious. Anyway, I opened one of our largest top assembly draft files in review mode and it opened so fast, like 5 seconds or less, that I don't see any use for me to compare drafts for smaller models. This one has approximately 800 parts not accounting for patterns.

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Phenom

And how is you database?

How many files or how many megs?

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

For that assembly about 250mb in models. I wonder how relevant that is because only the draft gets put in the cache.

Edit: Or are you asking about the entire database?

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Phenom

Anyone else?

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

My first suspect in case of slow performance is the Virus Scanner.

- make sure that all Solid Edge file type (ASM,CFG,PAR,PSM,DFT,PWD) are in the exception list

- take in the Solid Edge Program into the trusted program list

- make sure that the Insight Server itself is in the exception list and in the list of trusted servers so the HTTP protocol is not scanned

- put the Cache directory in the exception list

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm recalling a period where we had some slow opening times as the db got larger and were getting timeouts with Insight not delivering all the files.  Had something to do with the table update method used by default in SQL and it causing table locks.  Changed it and the issue went away.  I'll have to look and see if I still have the documentation.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I just looked at our DB and I had to turn on "Snapshot Isolation" on the content DB.  What happens without it is rows in tables get locked while transactions are occuring (even read).  If multiple users are accessing some of the same data they need to wait till the locks are removed before their transactiona are allowed thus slowing down opening of SE files especially large assemblies.  With Snapshot Isolation on, read transactions do not lock the rows and allows multiple transactions to occur on the same data.

The link below explains what it does.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tcbchxcb(v=vs.110).aspx

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1