Insight Permissions

I took over as the system admin in January, so I know that I have a lot to learn, and I'm hoping that someone out there can help me with this issue.

A random problem that's been occurring for a while is that when I add a user to a doclib, there is a delay in the user actually being granted those permissions.  The delay has been a couple of hours, to over a day.  I have no idea of where to begin looking, or how to resolve this problem.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES

Re: Insight Permissions

I have not experienced that. But I have a lot to learn as well and have no idea what determines the amount of delay.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I think it helps to consider what might be Insight related and what might be SharePoint related.

Google is probably best for SharePoint related issues.

I found some issues related to SP2013 and claims base authentacation by searching for
"sharepoint 2013 permissions delay".

Though I just set up a SP2013 server and the permissions were immediate.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

[ Edited ]

My understanding is that SP2013 isn't ready for prime time for the purposes of SE, Insight, etc. We are using SP2010.

Edit: I think I"m mistaken about this.

Bruce Shand

Sorry for the delay in replying and want to note that we are still on SharePoint 2010, but I don't see a delay with adding permissions. How we have it set up here is I have a "Designers" group and then just add/remove users from that group to grant permissions.
Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST9 MP5 - Insight

How are you granting the user that access?  Are you using AD groups to control access or are you using the SharePoint groups to control access?

In my experience, AD group changes can take a while to flow through certain systems and often the user must log out and back in to "see" the change.

SharePoint group/security changes have always been immediate in my experience.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

We use SharePoint Groups and don't see a lag.

Dale Smith
ST9 MP5 - Insight

[ Edited ]

What is an AD group?

And how do you create an SP group?

Bruce Shand

AD is an Active Directory group that grants network permissions across your work domain and also is used in email.  Our is controled by IT.

To create a SharePoint group, go into Site Actions->Site Permissions and Create Group.  You will prompted to Name that group (ex. Designers) and then you can enter the Group and add Members to it.  You then give the group access permissions just as you would with Individuals across your Sites.  You should be using this technique for the "Document Control" and "Engineering Change" groups.  I use it for all the sites.

Dale Smith
ST9 MP5 - Insight

@DaleSmith Oh! SP create group was right in front of me. Thanks. I can see needing groups for larger organizations and I can see some usefulness for me but I do OK with individual assignments.

I can't as of yet create AD groups as I don't have network admin privileges.

Bruce Shand