Insight server recommended hardware

[ Edited ]

Hello Edgers,

I want to ask what should be recommended hardware configuration for Insight Server (ST9 and next releases).

It is for customer who has 6-7 seats of Solid Edge with medium usage.

Any suggestion from those who use Insight?

Thanks in advance.

Ota

15 REPLIES

Re: Insight server recommended hardware

Same question. What kind of server power would be needed to keep up with Two Boxx computers. Right now I work local. I don't want to lose much speed going from local raid-0 solid state drive when files are moved to a server.

Eventually I will get a add another CAD person. When I do, we then have to go server from local. Our current server would not be near enough for CAD.

Just follow the Microsoft capacity planning guide for SharePoint.  Recommend 2 servers:  One for the app and one for the DB.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

That's not much help

What's a good brand or two of servers? 

Is 1000T enough or is better needed to keep up the speed?

I guesssing it would take me 15 min just to find that guide.

Hi, I have installed Insight quite a bit and had been staying with MS Server 2008 R2, SQL Server R2, and SharePoint 2010 (the free version) and Search Server Express because with SharePoint 2013, Microsoft has doubled the queries to SQL basically which can cause performance issues for Insight.  I have recently been doing MS Server 2012 with SQL 2012 and SharePoint 2010 and Search Server Express and you just need to use the slipstream with service packs included for installint SharePoint 2010 on Server 2012.  If you plan to use 2013, according to Microsoft, you need two servers - one SQL and one SharePoint - you can beef up the servers a bit to account for the extra querying.  I am currently engaged in an upgrade that will involve using two servers - Server 2012, SQL 2014 and SharePoint 2013 and will let you know how it goes.  Thanks.

Madison Rye - Ally PLM

Hardware recommendations?

sorry forgot about the hardware...

I would recommend using RAID 10 - 32 GB ram on each server - decent processors - 300-500 GB drive space for the SharePoint server and sizing the SQL - look at the amount of data they produce in a year and how many years they plan to use it. Using virtual servers makes things easier.  If they are physicals servers, they need a NIC dedicated to each other, so they can talk without having network traffic.  VLAN can do that for virtual.  SQL maintenanc makes a huge difference in performance - make sure the transaction logs get truncated - full backup will do that for you.  SQL recommendations from Microsoft say to put the log files, data files, and temp db on different spindles so they can read/write independently.

Madison Rye - Ally PLM

12GAGE wrote:

Same question. What kind of server power would be needed to keep up with Two Boxx computers. Right now I work local. I don't want to lose much speed going from local raid-0 solid state drive when files are moved to a server.

Eventually I will get a add another CAD person. When I do, we then have to go server from local. Our current server would not be near enough for CAD.

I fear you'll be setting yourself up for diasappointment, trying to compare local data usage on your SSD setup[s], to that of server activity in the same usage.

As the single greatest bottleneck is "usually" always touted as being the network speed itself, when serving up the first use of the data [then local caching helps out]....measured at the slowest juncture in the entire pathway, not necessarily relevant to only the "specs" of the server hardware.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Very true.  Users that are saving to a hard drive - you can't compare that to saving to the network, but the rewards are that the data is secure and backed up and managed with rev control etc.  Also, yes I left off network - make sure you have a 1GB connection throughout - all switches, NICs - the whole flow from client to server has to be min 1GB.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't be going the insight route.  I don't have any 'insight' into the future but my guess would be that it is a product the SE guys will move away from now they have the ST9 data management tools.  Anything based on Sharepoint cant be too good can it?

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP9