Solved! Go to solution

Install Standard Parts ST6 on Windows Server 2012 R2

We have a customer with ST6 that wants to have a shared Standard Parts database on a server. The server is a Windows Server 2012 R2 with SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2. Some questions:

Does it require to have Solid Edge installed on the Windows Server machine only for the Standard Parts installation?

Will it consume a license?

Or should the installation be made from a machine with Solid Edge but pointing to the Windows Server 2012 as the installation target? If so, will it use the SQL Server on the Windows Server machine or will it install the SQL Server on the machine with Solid Edge where the installation is being done?

Thank you

5 REPLIES

Re: Install Standard Parts ST6 on Windows Server 2012 R2

You do not need Solid Edge installed to install Standard Parts.

Standard Parts by itself does not consume a license.

In the scenario you describe, I would install the Standard Parts Administrator directly onto the server.

Hello Dave,

That is what we thought, but upon installing the Standard Parts Administrator, we get a warning saying the installation cannot continue as Solid Edge must be installed. But it doesn't make sense. Is it something that changed since ST6?

Hmm, I don't remember having to have Solid Edge installed but maybe it is so. 

Then just install Solid Edge on the server and go on.  Either way it still doesn't pull a license.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cadflow
Monday

Hello,

I think you setup should be:

1. Install Solid Edge and STDParts Adninistrator to client PC (that should be user admin for std parts)

2. In Configuation Wizard set up a database to SQL Server on server with WinServer2012

3. Share a Standard Parts installation folder from step 1 above.

4. Define other users to Smapinifile.sac in Solid Edge options in shared folder in step 1.

Attaching a pdf I created a long ago, but should be helpful for you.

Ota

Highlighted

Thank you!