Installation Error 2738

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dear all, 

I have tried to download the software Solid Edge ST8, but I can't complete the installation because of the error 2738.

On the net I searched for the solution but I do not have this file: "regsvr32 vbscript.dll" on my Laptop so I can't fix the problem.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: Installation Error 2738

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

A little more info required. Can you provide the link you tried to download from? 

GTAC? Free Student? Free Trial? Other?

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I assume the full error message is "Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action"?

Next guess is do you or have you previously had at some time McAfee virus/security software installed?  McAfee products are notorious for causing this error code.  If you have McAfee you will need to run their MCPR tool after install:

https://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

As for not having regsvr32, if you are running a Windows platform you should have this available  This is a core system file, so if it truly is not on your system, then you have a corrupt OS.  I would double-check for the existence of this regsvr32 file.  Be advised this is a Windows system file so unless you have specifically configured your Windows Explorer to show system files, you will *not* see this file in Win Explorer, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Please confirm your OS and if you have ever had McAfee products.  We can then try to direct you further at that time.

Siemens Phenom

And just to verify, because you haven''t fully documented the actions you took to try to repair this, here are the step to register the VBScript engine:

Run Command Prompt as administrator:
Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories

Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator

Navigate to the folder that contains the DLL:
Type cd %windir%\syswow64 into the Command Prompt and press ENTER

Run the command that registers the DLL:
Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll into the Command Prompt and press ENTER

Please follow the above steps explicitly and report back in detail any errors you run into with using these instructions.

If you follow the above steps without any errors but this still doesn't solve your Solid Edge install issue, please let us know and we can advise further on next steps to register.

P.S. When attempting to install Solid Edge make sure your UAC is disabled and that you run the Solid Edge installer using Run as administrator,

Siemens Phenom

Following up, there are many possible causes for corruption of the Microsoft VBScript engine that will then cause this 2738 error.  As there are multiple possible causes, consequently there are multiple possible solutions to resolving the 2738 error message.

I have attempted to capture all of these possible solutions into a single, logical document.  Please find attached what I think is a definitive guide, or as definitive a guide based on my knowledge of the issue, to resolving this 2738 error message.

Thank you for the challenge of putting this document together.  It is always fun to intentionally break your system in order to then hack and repair the system back to working.  I am personally [and pleasantly] surprised that as many times and different ways I corrupted/changed the VBScript engine on my system for this, that I can still successfully uninstall and install Solid Edge.Robot Very Happy

Please be aware that these solutions are not simply copied and pasted from the Internet.  I intentionally broke my system for each solution and then tested each solution personally to ensure that the solution would repair the VBScript engine.  This allowed me to then provide you with step by step screenshots.

As with any solutions I provide, YMMV Cat Wink

EDIT: updated the PDF file to correct grammatical errors and provide additional clarification. Also added page numbering and linking to facilitate easily navigating the document.

Siemens Phenom

To bring closure to this post and to clarify for everyone, this following error (which I can recreate on demand) is *not* a Solid Edge issue: 

screenshot.39.png

@Karin you previously stated that you do not have vbscript.dll on your system.  I do not know what steps you are following to lead you to think that vbscript.dll is not on your system.  Yet the screenshot you sent me of your system clearly indicates otherwise:

image.png

This "Error 2738" message indicates that the VBScript engine (vbscript.dll) is either not correctly registered, has been replaced by another program, or is missing on the workstation.  This error is clearly documented all over the interwebz and exists with many different software programs, not just Solid Edge.  Vbscript.dll is a core Microsoft operating system file and is the responsibility of Microsoft.  Vbscript.dll is *not* a Solid Edge provided or maintained file. 

With that said, I have previously posted an extremely detailed set of [non- Solid Edge] instructions to debug and fix this Microsoft vbscript.dll issue.  I was able to recreate each of the root causes for the vbscript.dll error and tested each solution provided to ensure that every step works.  If you choose to follow these instructions then I am confident that you should then be able resolve your issue.  If you wish to not use the provided solution, then you can either contact Microsoft support directly or rebuild your computer to restore this core operating system vbscript.dll file.

Will a moderator please mark my previous post with the instructions on how to resolve the “Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.” issue as solved.