Inter assembly copy?

I know there are inter part copies that many use (I don't use that feature). However I'm wondering if there is inter assembly copies of some kind. Here is why:

I have a complex set of shee metal part that are all assembly driven. I have a drawing made for the "blank" version of this.

Now I need to make 5 different version of this all using the same sheet metal parts but each with a different set of holes. I must present flat patterns for each of the different versions of the hole.

To not effect the origional model/drawing. I want to use assembly features. But I can't generate flat patterns from assembly features. If I make the assembly features inside the parts, I then add holes to the origional files that I don't want too.

What's the path of least resistance to have a "COPY" of a set of assembly driven sheet metal that stays the same as (updates) from the origional set of assembly driven sheet metal parts?

4 REPLIES

Re: Inter assembly copy?

12GAGE wrote:

What's the path of least resistance to have a "COPY" of a set of assembly driven sheet metal that stays the same as (updates) from the origional set of assembly driven sheet metal parts?

Hi Scott,

Insert-Part Copy route is exactly what we do here,....for our range of electrical enclosures, and their many variations.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Do you just make a copy of each part and re-assemble? Say I have 10 parts that make up a sheet metal box. Right now the files are plane/assembly driven sheet metal. I need to create about 5 different sets of holes patterns for the one assembly. Each set is completely different and unrelated from the other, but the sheet metal remains the same (other than the holes).

Yet another thing making this complicated is that each set of holes requires an assembly sketch, then I have to link the assembly holes to sketches in the part that actually drive the holes. The hole patterns span multiple pieces of sheet metal. I need to present flat patterns that include the holes.

The driving factor behind my desire to work this way is that the sheet metal is complex (up to 9 bend/part) and it takes lots of time to create the bend tables (with back gages). So I only want to do that once. But I can reference the drawing with the bend tables in it from five other sets of drawing that show the individual versions of the hole patterns.

[ Edited ]

12GAGE wrote:

Do you just make a copy of each part and re-assemble? Say I have 10 parts that make up a sheet metal box. Right now the files are plane/assembly driven sheet metal. I need to create about 5 different sets of holes patterns for the one assembly. Each set is completely different and unrelated from the other, but the sheet metal remains the same (other than the holes).

Yes, pretty much just that.....saving the new part[s] and assembly as new dash-version name[s] along the way. We use a master [internal volume] model approach, that controls our components, and therefore the assembly.

Obviously, your use case has quite a bit more indepth demands on it, so may not be of direct relevance......just adding my NZ$0.02 worth. [at current exchange rate, thats not much at all Robot wink]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thanks Sean

I hope to make it back to NZ some day. I was there for a week in the early 90's. 4 day in Auckland and 3 day on the south island doing the shot over river & bunji jumping, and other outside goodies. It was just a stop on my way to go Scuba out of Cairns (Cans) for a month.