Solved! Go to solution

Internal volume

Ideally, I would like to find the internal volume of some pipes in an assembly.  It doesn't look like it would be possible so my next choice is to measure the internal volume of individual pipe segments and add them.

I followed a method to use the internal surface of the pipe to create a new solid body and measure its volume.  I followed the steps and was able to create a solid body of the internal volume, but the measured volume doesn't seem right.  I usded the Surfacinc copy command to copy the internal volume and then used Bounded options to close both ends and finally stitch them all into a single solid body.

The radius is 0.44" and the lenght is 135" and the volume should be around 82 cubic inches, but the volume shows is 23.92, which is the same as the volume of the material of the pipe I started with.

I probably made a silly mistake somewhere and my brain is too tired to figure it out.

Thank you.

Ali

14 REPLIES

Re: Internal volume

This is what I get:

tubevol.JPG

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

If you were using Physical Properties to measure it, it only works on the Design Body whether displayed or not.  Your cylinder was a Construction Body.  You have to measure it like @bshand did.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST6 MP14
Testing: ST9 MP1

[ Edited ]

Yeah, so if you toggle solid body_7 to design and design body_1 to construction the properties will give you the volume of the design body representing the internal volume. I learned something here...

Edit: No, I'm wrong here. No need to toggle. Just make sure the right one is selected.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

This is exactly what I need.  Can you please tell me what command I should use?

Also, can you please tell me how you would toggle construction/physical bodies?

[ Edited ]

The Measure command on the Inspect tab will give you the results that @bshand posted.

Greg

I already tried that, but it doesn't give the volume.0measures.png

Go to the options in the measure dialog to add volume.

Right click a body and you will see the toggle command.

Bruce Shand
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SPXAli
‎03-30-2016 12:53 PM

[ Edited ]

Set the Element Type filter to Solid Bodies instead of All Elements and it will give you the desired results.

measure.png

I checked the options and all the measurements are checked.  Am I clicking on the right options box?

0option.png