Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me or is smart dimension not so smart?

Builder
Builder

why is it that smart dimension isnt very smart. so for eg angle dimensions cant be put in using smart dimension. neither can i put tangent dimension min and max, also cant use MICE keyboard shortcut when using smart dim. i have to use the other tools such as 'dimension between '

the SW smart dim tool is so much more smarter.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

MagRiz
(ST9 User Est 01.18)
12 REPLIES

Re: Is it just me or is smart dimension not so smart?

Genius
Genius

Agreed, not always smart. However you can hit the a key any time for angle. There are some other options too, all shown in the lower left section of the window.

Phenom
Phenom

@MagRiz wrote:

why is it that smart dimension isnt very smart. so for eg angle dimensions cant be put in using smart dimension. neither can i put tangent dimension min and max, also cant use MICE keyboard shortcut when using smart dim. i have to use the other tools such as 'dimension between '

the SW smart dim tool is so much more smarter.

Capture.PNG

Angle dimension can be placed pressing the "angle" button or the "A" key and it will create the angle according to the selected element (for example 1 line will create the line angle, 2 lines will create the angle betwen them)

Tangent dimension can be placed by pressing the "tangent" button or the "T" key and the tangent will be placed accordingly to the element click position. You can also dimension one side tangent and the other not as needings by tongle the option tangent on and off.

Is SW smart dim so much more smarter ? I would love to know more examples.

smart dimension.png

Thanks

Builder
Builder

I know how to do all that. im just saying that the smart tool should pick up on all of those things. i shouldnt need to press additional keys or go to a different option.

Regards,

MagRiz
(ST9 User Est 01.18)

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MagRiz

what's the issue with aditional keys to press?

Somehow You need to explain the software what Your intend is.

Or how will You differ between a horicontal/vertical dimensions against a direct distance dimension.

So what smart offers You is, to simply press the SHIFT key for differentiation those two possibilities.

Same is true for diameter, rdaius or concentric diameter.

To tell SE what You want You have to press the D key 

What I see smart in SE in comparison to other CAD software I know, is that there You will have several fucntions and symbols to press in advance to get the different results.

In SE You simply have one single dimension function for 99% of any existing  single dimension .

regards
Wolfgang

Builder
Builder

@hawcad Two words - Saves time!

Regards,

MagRiz
(ST9 User Est 01.18)

Legend
Legend

Hi @MagRiz,

As I said last time, you have to get rid of all SW habits learning a new CAD (when you working only using one).

Every CAD software has better functions than the other and vice versa.

Regarding your last answer - it doesn't change anything when you save 0.5 to 1 second pressing an extra key.

Good luck,

Arek

Production: SE ST10 MP6
;

Genius
Genius

Smart Dimension aside, my previous CAD bundle had one feature I really miss. Any time you picked a line, surface, curve etc. it would automatically show it's dimension(s) in a small window. I wonder if this could be added to SE with a macro or something? This often eliminated the need to even pick the measuring tool.

Like this:

1.JPG2.JPG

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @hjoy

Yes this sounds to be a good enhancement.

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi real good answer.

And I believe that the 0.5 seconds are even a lot to much.

What time does it really take to let fall the finger of Your left hand onto the key?

And what could the alternative be?

This is the more interesting question.

How to tell the software for a horiconatl or vertical or direct dimension?

How to tell to get the radius or the diameter of a circle.

Anyway, moving to another symbol/icon/function will take multiple times of pressing a simple key.

So IMHO  the SE Smart Dimension is smart, at least for me and this for the last 23 years!

But, as always there is a "but", but everything could be improved. 
It's on us to find what and how

regards
Wolfgang