Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to name the surfaces of a part?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I am using ST6 student version,

I am wondeing if it is possible to name the surfaces of a part in SolidEdge. For example, lets say I created a cuboid (see the attached image), is there a way to select each face of the cuboid and give them names like Front, top, right side etc.?

Most of the CFD softwares can load the CAD models and are also capable of keeping the names of the surfaces as is when they read this CAD model. I want to create a CAD model in SE which I will further use it for a CFD analysis. 

Thank you

8 REPLIES

Re: Is it possible to name the surfaces of a part?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Not sure how it will go when imported into your CFD application, but you could try placing PMI callout's on each face [setting the "lock plane" for each] you wanted to label.

Like all solid modelling programs,....a single feature can be made up of numerous, but enclosed surfaces to make a volume.

....but otherwise, this in not something I have ever [in my sheltered little bubble] encountered a request for. Not saying your need isn't real...just trying to understand why it would be needed.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion. I am not yet familiar with the concept of PMI callout. 

Regarding your question about why it would be needed. Consider a simple case of flow through a pipe. It has one inlet, one outlet and the rest is pipe body. When I create this in SE I will name the two flat faces inlet and outlet. I will then name the cylindrical face as wall. When this CAD file is imported into CFD software, the software will recognize the names and defaulty sets the boundary condition options i.e I don't need to tell the CFD software that cyclindrical face is a wall, CFD software will recognize that it is a wall by reading the name that I gave in the CAD file and sets the boundary conditions on it as "no slip" condition. When there are several such faces it makes users life easy.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello NV 123:

See if the functionality in the following video is of any use.

I know how the data (face names) attached to faces can be accessed later programatically i.e. using the Solid Edge API but not sure how the downstream application you intend to use can access the same.

~Tushar Suradkar

fb.pngSolid Edge Users Facebook Group

@Tushar_Suradkar

Gears Phenom
My Friend,

Is there any way to query this info in draft?

BR,
Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Gears Phenom

Hi Imi, this features works in such isolation, there seems to be no way to connect to the variable table or anywhere else.

As stated earlier, only a macro can put this info into an exposed variable, so it can be pulled into a Draft.

What is your idea behind quering this into a Draft ?

~Tushar

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Tushar,

Thanks for the video instruction. I think this puts the names on the faces. I will check the capability of my CFD software to read these face names.

Regards

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Hopefully Tushar's solution [a great one at that] works out....as that looks like the right path.

The attached file is what I was refering to with the PMI method...but as I say, your CFD app may not link the PMI callout to the face, if in fact the PMI entities are even imported.

UPDATE: sorry, just spotted that you are on ST6 Student Edition.....hopefully you can open this ".JT" file OK.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Gears Phenom

Why Sean, I don't see any reason the PMI not staying with the face.

I say this because earlier I did not understand your very first post to this thread.

Now I tried out for self and found if the PMI won't link, neither would the table.

There are couple more ways that I know using the Solid Edge API called "StringAttributes" which directly slaps a string (a piece of text) onto a face or edge and no beating around the bush with tables and columns and data types or even PMI. It takes a face, a string and connects them.

The most important thing is what the downstream application is capable of reading in.

Does it read a SE file natively or via a neutral format.

Such attached metadata is very volatile especially when crossing boundaries of disparate CAD/CAE programs.

~Tushar