Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the One Body Assembly Function fully baked in ST10?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I saw this feature is supposedly available in the what's new for ST10.  However, whenever I try to actually use it, the feature either fails or seems to do nothing.  Also, now when I insert part copy the merge solid box is checked, but greyed out, so I cannot uncheck it.  Yet when I insert part copy with an assembly, select merge solid by default (because I can't unselect it), select fill voids, and select "adjust non-manifold conditions and merge", then click finish, the part either fails, or it just goes ahead and brings in all parts without just giving me the outer surfaces.  I can cut into the assembly part and still see all of the internal features of the other parts.

This feature does not seem to be fully complete, and the reference in the help sections is very vague.  I just get the feeling that this in not available yet.

5 REPLIES

Re: Is the One Body Assembly Function fully baked in ST10?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I just tried it on a small assembly (3 parts) and a larger one with about 20 parts. I don't see any malfunctions.

Edit: I'll take that back because now, with more responses to the post, I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Betreff: Is the One Body Assembly Function fully baked in ST10?

Hi @mdamson

caution, there are 2 new option for inserting a part/assembly into another part.

• One is the merge into one body with changing of non-manifold situation by modifying the geometry a little
    20180308_1738.PNG

• and second is to allow the removment of voids in that model

20180308_1739.PNG

but be careful due to this only concerns completely internal voids but no holes from the outside

• and Yes, I can confirm that there is no way to ansign the "Merge Solid Bodies" for Design Body Import of an assembly
    This only is available for importing existing parts with multiple bodies
regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I did go back and look at the one that I tried before, and it does seem to merge the parts.  However, I have an outer case that houses a worm drive gear assembly inside, and all of those parts interior to the case are still there.  ST10 did merge the points that were touching together, but it did not entirely fill up the interior volume of the case, which is weird.  The worm gear set was still visible when I do a PMI section view.  I did try a simple test of a sphere in a box, and it did take care of the interior void space, so that the sphere was no longer visible.  I guess it may just be a factor of how ST10 is interpreting what is considered "void".

Hi @mdamson

nothing is "void" if there is one single hole from the outside to the inside.

I always think about "water is running out of the inside"

If this is the case it is not taken as a void in the sense of filling it with material.

Delete this hole and to it again manually (under the Direct Edint - Delete - feature YOu can select "all inside voids") to erase them afterwards.

PS.: Direct Modeling (Edit) only is available in Ordered.

So change to ordered, delete this inside faces and move them to sync again

regards
Wolfgang

Is the One Body Assembly Function fully baked in ST10?

Genius
Genius

I had the same issue on several assemblies.  Some would merge into one body correctly.  Others would fail to merge. 

In order to diagnose the issue I had to go to the assembly.  Simplify the assembly.  Save out the assembly as a part file.  Then insert that part file in as new part copy.  At this point i was able to uncheck the "merge" bodies.   There possibly is a simplier way but it worked for what i needed done quickly.

Once it copied in all the design bodies i would edit definition on the part copy.  Then start manually checking the boxes of the part to get a sucessful merge.  Once i found the failed part I would either exclude or repair it.  Repairing is a whole different topic.  Some were trying to create "zero manifold" bodies.

Regardless this was a somewhat teadious procedure.  However, it did work for what was needed on this topic.   

Cory M
Solid Edge ST10
ST10 Cert