Is there a way to copy paste some parts from one assembly to other at same location?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have two similar assemblies X and Y.

I added couple of parts in my assembly X with assemble command I made relation with other parts.

Now I want to add those same parts at similar location in assembly Y.

Is there a way to do that?

In draft environment, it gives two option, paste at same location or paste where i click similar to that is there option in assemblies too?

thank you

10 REPLIES

Re: Is there a way to copy paste some parts from one assembly to other at same location?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi,

I think there is a way but not that elegant as 2D copy / paste.

Please look at attached video.

In general:

0. Create a copy of source assembly so you do not break your original files.

1. create subassembly from parts you want to place in the new assembly into same position as in old one

2. insert subassembly created in step 1 into new assembly . Aling basic coordinate system of subassembly with basic coordinate system of the new assembly.

In my case I inserted subassembly as first component into top assembly, so coordinate systems aligned automatically.

3. Dissolve subassembly into separate parts, if needed - downsize is you lost all relationship betwen parts. But you can create new mates using Relationship Assistant command.

This is what came to my mind this morning. Maybe there is a better way.

Ota

(view in My Videos)

Re: Is there a way to copy paste some parts from one assembly to other at same location?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Ota's suggestion is great. There are some other ways, in this case I suggest using Inter-Part Assembly. The main advantage is that this is associative with "original" assy If you want!

Here is a short video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

Look at System Library command.

Its like capture fit but for multiple parts in an assembly.

It creates a sub-assembly of selected parts and all their positioning relationships.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

SE will allow you to copy a single part from on assembly and paste it into another assembly but will not allow you to Copy multiple components.  If you use CTRL-V it will paste in at the cursor.  I do not lnow of a way to get it to Paste to it's original position.  As others have said, there are other tools to accomplish this.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you all for response but some of the methods looks more complicated.

I just want to use ctrl c, ctrl v command to make it work.

@Grundey

Is it possible for one part?

I tried copy paste---ctrl c, ctrl v for one part but it paste at cursur point and not at original location.

thank you

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@manojsonje22  I do not know of a way to get it to paste to the original location.  May be impossible.

If you perform Capture Fit on the component in the Source Assembly, you at least can copy over the relationships and it will save you some assembly time.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

No, there is not a way to copy and paste one or more parts that maintains the position information.

Greg

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

@GregLuckett is right, but you can copy original positions' coordinates from Occurrence properties.

Here is a workflow:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I think the -at the moment - easisest way and method would be to use a system library.

Here the relations between the part  will be kept as it was and only a relation to other parts (neighbourhood) is necessary

regards
Wolfgang