Is there a way to delete an interference easier? (ST4)

Pioneer
Pioneer

Two of my parts in my assembly are interfering.  I ran the check interference command, and it generated the interference as a part.  Is there a way to easily delete the small bit that interferes, without having to go in and do a bunch of cuts to remove the overlapping piece? I'm not really sure if that made sense, but hopefully someone can help. 

Thanks, 

Brian Mixon

EDIT: Added 2 pictures of the second problem I'm having, detailed in a comment below

15 REPLIES

You can use the Synchronous Subtract functions.   In the...

MLombard
Retired

You can use the Synchronous Subtract functions.

• In the assembly, right click on the part you want to add the feature to and select Edit
  • On the Ribbon, go to Home > Solids > and under the Add Body icon, click the dropdown arrow and select Subtract
  • Follow the Prompt Bar, and select the part, right click to accept to make this the part to subtract from (Target).
  • Select the other part as the part to subtract (Tool), and right click. Done.

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Community-Blog/It-Looks-Like-Cheating-but-...

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Re: You can use the Synchronous Subtract functions.   In the...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
He's using ST4...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

MLombard
Retired
Hmmm. Thought it was too easy.
Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the reply, but I forgot to also mention that I'm in ordered mode. One other thing that's happening is it is saying there is interference in a spot where it seems physically impossible for it to occur. I'll post a picture of what's happening in another comment (not sure why I can't attach it to this). Sorry to add to the question, but I hope you guys can help me out!
Thanks!

EDIT: here's the pics again..

20131022_144945.jpg

20131022_145003.jpg

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brian, what area is giving the interference result?

Also...I don't know why it's like this, but...if you post as if the image was in the comment, then edit the comment, you get the option to add images there.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer
Did you see the pictures I edited into the original post? That dial is 2 parts (an inner cylinder, and an outer ring). For some reason, both the inner and outer part of the dial are interfering with the big top silver part. Do you see any possible way there is interference?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Without reviewing those 2 parts on my screen, it's pretty tough to say, but it doesn't take much for the system to read a minute amount as an interference. Maybe make a cross section through them the see whats going on there. I assume it's just those parts, and not the lid. Nice work by the way.

Can you save those 2 parts as Parasolid files, and myself and/or others will take a look.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer
The two parts of the dials don't interfere with each other. I tested them individually with the top silver piece, and both of them interfered with it. I'll post the files around 8CST tonight when I get back from class, if you have the time to look at it. Thanks for your help Sean, and thanks for the complement, I've worked hard on this!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
I may well be over simplifying the issue your having, but, perhaps you could just set the assembly positioning to have a very small air gap between them to avoid the resulting interference?
Sean Cresswell
Windows 10