Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to remove the "grey corners" in a draft?

Creator
Creator

Hello,

Recently I have been plagued by the "grey corners" in my assembly drafts that are the result of out of date models. I am aware of the drawing view tracker utility. I use models from other engineers and I often cannot repair the model links as I am not in charge of said files. This brings to me to the question, is it possible to turn off/remove the grey corners? 

I wonder why the Solid Edge designers would add such a feature. I have used several other CAD packages and there are better ways to notify the user if a file/link/model is out of date. It just clogs up already busy assembly drawings. Thank you for your help.

24 REPLIES

Re: Is there a way to remove the "grey corners" in a draft?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @afritchl15,

If you are unable to perform the repair to the offending file with "broken links", then you are not going to be able to clear the error indicator on the views.

Also of note, this is only persistent onscreen, and does not appear on Prints/PDF's.

This warning system persists in SE, because the "user base" accepts it as a fair method of achieving it. If the masses were in favour of something "better", then the SE developers might be inclined to do something different.

Can you elaborate on the alternative ways other software handle such events, for user intervention.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP6] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Genius
Genius

Try the 'inactivate drawing views button' ,

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I get the gray corners when there is something wrong with the model. It could be a small thing in a single part 3 assembly levels in. That's all it takes to hamstring draft.

I work in ordered, When I have a problem like that, I go through every sketch with relationship colors on looking for orange stuff inside the sketches.

You have to hunt down the error until it is removed.

Legend
Legend

I'm not so sure you would really be "changing" anything within the model, but maybe I misunderstand the concept.I thought you were just updating the drawing, to what changes might have taken place within the assembly.

I use the Component Tracker, can be annoying to do it numerous times until every level is updated, but I've not found another function that does it flawlessly.

Capture.PNG

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Trikefreak Component Tracker should be able to update all levels in one go using the Update All button.  Save All then saves the updated components and their parents.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP5
Testing: SE 2019

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@afritchl15,  I agree with you and wish there was a way to turn the dark corners off or at least lighten the color so it's not so obtrusive. Despite what others say about component tracker "fixing" it this is not always the case nor is it always possible to fix immediately. At least not easily. And sometimes it's not even of an importance that justifies the time. Especially if you're in a managed environment. Files which need updating of some kind, usually minor, inevitably get released and are then not accessible to the common user to do updates on. Also, sometimes projects are worked on by multiple users and changes to embedded files are in a liquid state. IOW, always going on until the project is done and no one is getting into and changing models. Meanwhile, drafting has to get done during this process and it's just not practical to be always updating the relevant assemblies.

Additionally, I've had examples where the component tracker indicates everything is ok, but it doesn't resolve. Or it appears to resolve it then then next time you open the draft the corners are back. Or I've had cases where I run component tracker, save, the corners disappear, so I close the assembly and the corners come back. And though it is likely something not apparent the tracker is not able to reveal it. Then you have to put on your sleuthing cap like Mr. Holmes and often there is no time for that game. In large organizations you might have to submit a fix-it ticket to CAD Admin or IT. That's not an immediate fix. So, the person doing the detailing has to deal with these annoying objects on the screen. Why?

As to other ways to indicate the out-of-date status why not do it similarly to the way read-only or checked-out status is shown? Have an initial warning dialog which can be reduced to a small icon in the upper right of the window.

Come on, masses!

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend
I used to be able to use Update All, but for some reason, it doesn't work for myself or 12+ coworkers. We are running ST8 MP12.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

"Component Tracker should be able to update all levels in one go using the Update All button.  Save All then saves the updated components and their parents."

Yea right. I have to fight it to get thing to update.

My typical procedure is:

open draft, open assy, update weight in assy, save assy, update all open, update relations, update draft views, Save everything. Repeat up to 3 times.

Legend
Legend

Component tracker is the ONLY thing, in ST8, that I have found that when I go back to my draft, it's done. Granted, I have to Open, Save All, Close, Open, Update All, Save All, Close, Open and if nothing is checked red, it's good to go. Often, I have to repeat, repeat, repeat, because the "issue" moves up only one level of the tree of the assembly, until it's to the top.