Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is there a way to remove the "grey corners" in a draft?

Creator
Creator

Hello,

Thank you for your reply! That is what I was afraid of. 

To your point, in Solidworks they handle the "drawing view out of date" issue by using a pop up window that tells you what is wrong and asks if you'd like to update them. You can then change a setting to auto update drawing views thus eliminating the pop up. To my knowledge it does not tell you anything about the model in the drafting environment. 

Solidworks does a similar thing in the assembly when lower level subassemblies change or links become broken it uses a pop up or different form of warning the user. Never do "model errors" carry over into the drafting environment much less adding lines onto the draft that the user can view. 

It would be nice to be able to disable the "grey corners" or at least be able to move the warning to a different location. Maybe in the prompt bar? POP UP.PNG

Creator
Creator

@RFPSteve This removed the "grey corners" in the particular set of drawings I was working on. Are there any adverse effects of using inactivated drawing views? 

Creator
Creator

@12GAGE Hello,

I have done the steps you describe and I understand how to use both component tracker and drawing view tracker to hunt down the location of the problem. My issue is that often times I must use/refrence files from other engineers and design around those parts. If the problem is in a part file of another engineer I cannot fix it because I have no background knowledge of their design.

I hope that clarifies my issue. Thank you for your help!

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@bshand wrote:

Additionally, I've had examples where the component tracker indicates everything is ok, but it doesn't resolve. Or it appears to resolve it then then next time you open the draft the corners are back. Or I've had cases where I run component tracker, save, the corners disappear, so I close the assembly and the corners come back. And though it is likely something not apparent the tracker is not able to reveal it.

This happen to my drafts on a daily basis

Creator
Creator

@Trikefreak @bshand 

Hello,

I am familiar with the component tracker utility, it is very useful in locating issues within the upper level assembly and updating files. I can locate the issue as shown, often times but am usually not positioned to make any changes in the problem files as I did not design them and would not know what to change. In this example the part shown will not update due to a lost sketch. I have no idea what was there and have no way to change that without a large investigation that I am not assigned to do.

My point was that instead of giant grey corners why not use a pop up or a warning near the prompt bar to indicate model update issues. I'm fine with there being small errors in the models as it seems to happen over time. To me it is very annoying to see the error continuously on my drafts with no option to remove it.

Hope that clarifies, thanks for your help!

Component Tracker.PNG

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

As I said before, I agree with you. Never liked these grey corners and agree there are better, less intrusive ways to indicate out-of-date condition.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

@bshand is dead on. We've had the same issue since this came out (v8 maybe). We have had PDM for a long time prior to this functionality existing. It would be nearly impossible to go back and update all of our released parts and assemblies (in the correct order) to eliminate these issues.  So it is not a very useful tool to us.

We opened a call about this all the way back in 2001 and mention it at roundtables with development and product managers throughout the years.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @afritchl15

We use a custom written automation tool that very efficiently and quickly identifies and updates models such that they are not out of date. Currently this is done on a daily basis after hours. We have many users working concurrently on the same project. Our projects consist out of a huge amount of parts and assemblies. This automation tool runs on a dedicated old lonely workstation that performs many menial tasks for us 24/7. Therefore this tool does a great job in reducing the amount of "grey corners" we encounter.

When encountered the gray borders are a minor annoyance that we have learned to ignore. Other times we find the gray corners to be a useful indicator. Maybe an alternative way to indicate views where the model is out of date may be a good feature in the future, and this is what you want from what I can gather.

Regards

Phenom
Phenom
Interesting solution, is this “lonely soldier” working in a managed environment where it must check out/in documents to perform changes and updates?

Thanks

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@breving wrote:

We opened a call about this all the way back in 2001 and mention it at roundtables with development and product managers throughout the years.

Wow! 16 years. There is no hope apparently.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200