Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is there a way to remove the "grey corners" in a draft?

Phenom
Phenom

I am curious, as I have never worked in a controlled environment with PDM. If files are locked down and checked in to a PDM system and can't be changed or saved without creating revisions, how can they cause the "gray corners"?

This happened to us regularly, but we just used a shared file folder system on the server and if someone opened and saved a part it could ripple thru and cause the corners. But this was a situation where nothing was locked down. 

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@rehenryjr, Sometimes files get released with updates needing to be done or with remaining links to nonreleased files. Like a mirror or sketch includes. They can be pretty minor and unfortunately easily overlooked. When that happens they either need to be revved (a potential can of worms) or cad admin, with write priviledges to released files, can open/update/save.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @bnemec

The environment consists out of a strictly defined, managed and monitored files and folders environment. Therefore no checking in/out of files. My preference is to keep things as simple and consistent as possible.

The "lonely soldier" does have a few mates to help out with many more menial repetitive tasks.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @rehenryjr

When I try to explain how the gray corners happen in drawings I use the following explanation: An assembly is considered to be a container of content. Content can be one or more parts or sub-assemblies. So whenever content is newer than a container by file date and time anywhere with the PathFinder tree hierarchy you will get dark grey corners on an active drawing view. With this understanding I can quickly and easily demonstrate this to new modellers when training them using simple models created from scratch.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@rehenryjr  Bob, PDM systems almost always copy all the files needed for an assembly file to the local disk from where they are opened.  The file revisions selected to be copied local are determined by configuration rules like Latest Checked-in, Latest Released, As Saved.

If new revisions of low level components have been checked-in and/or released, anything other than the As Saved configuration rule will cause the "models out of date brackets" in the drawing as those components are modified and the upstream structure components where they are used are still the originals as they had not been revised.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com