Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a common headache after opening a file?

Phenom
Phenom

I'm not certain if this started happening to me upon installation of ST9, or if it was one of the maintenence packs, but for awhile now I have been having a huge annoyance.

Let say that I'm working in edge, got a couple of files open, nothing major. Rather than opening files via Edge's open function, I prefer to operate with my folders open inside windows. So I will go to open a file, this usually happens with draft files, I open the draft file, then I can't select anything. Can't select dimensions, can't select any commands, the only thing I can do is using the scroll wheel it lets me zoom, but that is it. It stays like this until I minimize Solid Edge and then restore it. Then I can work as normal. I just figured out also that this doesn't occur when I have the "record video" function open, which sucks so I can't record a video of it to show this behavior.

Anyone else ever experience what I mention above? Anyone know how I might remedy this as it's become increasingly annoying when I'm having to open and change multiple drawings after revisions?

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
13 REPLIES

Re: Is this a common headache after opening a file?

Legend
Legend

I've had similar, if I leave SE opened on my home pc for days. If I restart my computer, it resolves the issue. At work, I restart at the end of every work day.

Phenom
Phenom

Yes I do the same with restarts. Always found it to be better to have a clean boot every day. Alas, this doesn't seem to affect this issue on my end.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@nominus38 wrote:

I just figured out also that this doesn't occur when I have the "record video" function open, which sucks so I can't record a video of it to show this behavior.

@nominus38, I haven't noticed this problem but I have occasionally had issues with not being able to use the SE record function because of similar catch-22 situations like yours, SE crashes, etc.

Windows 10 has a simple built-in record function. It's originally intended for gamers but it's useful to get around the catch. In fact you don't really need the SE recorder. That could almost be a reason to upgrade in itself. Except for things like the Win10 Fall Creator's Update problems.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

@bshandYeah, we should be running windows 10, but because our I.T. company we contract with, because they lied to my bosses and told them that we couldn't automatically roll up to 10 back when they were giving the free roll up to 10 away, they told them that we needed the Windows professional  which they said it wouldn't roll up to. Yeah, I was pissed. I kind of want to ask my bosses to step out of the way and let me deal with our I.T. company, I'm really sick of us getting ripped off by them. We signed a 5 year contract with them too, all paid up front. We're talking like $30,000US a year, and they still insist on ripping us off. So yeah, that is why I'm not running windows 10, lying I.T. company taking advantage of my computer illiterate bosses.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

@nominus38, yeah IT firms have a habit of making it easy for them, and them alone.....not the user [& ultimately the business] they are supposed to be supporting.

I sort of took control of that in this company way back, and it has been both a blessing and a curse. Robot wink

That IT company really needs to be told to figure out a strategy, and make it happen.....but that is VERY hard when you don't get to call those shots. Robot Frustrated

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP1] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Phenom
Phenom

When they do things like rip us off on computer equipment, it actually screws us employees. This company spends 5 grand on a computer, should have a computer that can be put together for 5 grand, not a 2 grand computer with a 3 grand markup. For twice what was paid for my machine, I could have built a supercomputer. Something to run simulations of the Big Bang and galaxy evolution.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

@nominus38, @SeanCresswell, I feel your pains. We let the free update happen on all engineering PCs. Which had 7 pro. But, to give the lie (which you already know) to your IT (Idiot Techs?) I let my personal laptop, which had Win8 (yuck) Home, update.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator

Just a random suggestion...Have you looked into what hotkey applications might be running on your system? Maybe there's one running in the background and it has trouble doing a handoff between different windows for input priority.

Phenom
Phenom

@RiffRaffI guess I'm confused as to what you mean. I know what a hotkey is. I'm confused as to how that would interrupt the switchover to the file opening in edge. Especially since I'm not entering any hotkey when I'm double clicking a file. Can you maybe elaborate on what you're saying, and how to check to see if this is what is happening?

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"