Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue opening dft from old Solid Edge versions

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi all,

this topic to ask community if someone is aware of issues that could happen opening old .dft files.

Example:

I will update my Solid Edge ST2 with ST10. I am confident that 3d models will open without any problem.

I want to concentrate on .dft files, will those files open without any issue? Anyone experienced some incongruence that might happens (missing lines, section/detail views, fonts, dimensions)?

thank you

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Issue opening dft from old Solid Edge versions

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@tech-value  The Draft files should open in a newer version without issue.  Occasionally there may be a situation where something does not update correctly, but it is typically found and corrected with a patch fairly early.  Being that ST10 is up to MP7, you should be safe but I would definetely test before commiting the entire workforce to ST10 to be sure.  If you find issues, report them through your support channel to get a fix.

If you think about it, all of us have had much older files that have all been updated to ST10 over the years without issue...

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

@KennyG Thanks for your replay. 

Since we are facing a massive open/save of this archive to update to ST10, maybe I can schedule a spot check on converted dfts to analyse possibile errors.

I will check dimensions (and their position), texts, annotations and view geometry. Do you agree?

Thank you very much

Phenom
Phenom

@tech-value Why do you need to 'update' these to ST10 at all? Are they not ok as they are? Seems like a lot of work for no benefit.

Our library has parts from all versions for 10+ years and we've never had any issues using older version parts in newer assemblies, opening drafts, or making revisions and copying the old draft through and updating.

@Alex_H this update is committed by our customer, I already stated that very likely this action is useless. But they want to proceed anyway.

What about holes.txt and material.mtl of ST5? 

Hole database has to be converted with custom hole database migration tool, materials do not require any conversions.

Am I right?

Thank you