Issues with AutoCAD translation of the Romans font

Hi All,

We are having issues with the translation of Solid Edge Drafts into .dwg formats.

It appears the issue is with the romans.shx file and what ever SE's equivalent is. It appears the treatment is different in both systems, so while Solid Edge has no issues whatsoever in importing drawing with the romans font, it appears that anything exported to AutoCAD has a few clangers.

Unfortunately, one of our largest clients requires that all drawings be submitted to them in AutoCAD .dwg format. Which means hours afterwards stuffing around trying in vain to get things to work as they should. It is deeply frustrating when text boxes move up and down, or suddenly split into two lines.

Does anybody else have issues with this font, and do you have any solutions (much as I would like it to be, changing the font is not an answer).

Shane Murray
ST8 MP6
4 REPLIES

Re: Issues with AutoCAD translation of the Romans font

Hi, screen shots and attached files are always helpful to troubleshoot issues like this.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

You may try mapping your Romans font from SE which uses a TrueType font to the same font in ACAD (which now supports TrueType) instead of an SHX font.  I'm assuming you are using the "SERomanS" font inside of SE instead of the MS delivered "RomanS" font...  For this to work, you will probably need to make sure you use the MS delivered font in SE and also set your font mapping to map this font between SE and ACAD.

2016-06-10_8-57-50.png

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Unfortunately, our client will not go for this option I don't think. We are having some people from their drawing control office come down to see us, and I hope that we can get something sorted quickly like this, because this is the ideal solution...

Shane Murray
ST8 MP6

It appears that some of the text movement that we are seeing is a justification setting. Despite assuming what was on the screen is what I would get, it would appear that is not so. So I have sorted the text moving slightly issue. I have not had the issue of it going to two lines again since. Hopefully it will be enough to get it past their drawing control department.

It also has a \L in the title of the drawing. In AutoCAD this must have no effect, but it seems every other CAD program interprets this as underline from this point. Will have to think of another way round this they they will be comfortable with.
Shane Murray
ST8 MP6