Issues with helical edges displaying properly on drawings

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am having issues with helical edges showing properly. The problem seems to have started when I upgraded to ST8.

I have created several springs using the helical protrusion command for use in assemblies.  When first creating assembly drawing views the edges show correctly and how I would like them to look (SPRING BEFORE image).  Sometimes while making changes to the assembly, whether it be choosing a section view, updating explode distances, or hiding parts, after updating the views I start to see the problem (SPRING AFTER image).

Now this doesn't happen every time and I can't seem to find the trigger.  It occurs on both basic views (Front,Top,Right,etc) and exploded views created in ERA.

First time I saw this I thought hidden or tangent edges were still showing and found both were already off.  I played around with the VHL and other options on the Advanced tab, but I am not too familiar with any of the options.

Geometry inspector shows no faults.

The only way I have found to fix this is to delete the view and place a new copy of it, which is a pain to reassociate everything.  And even then, I don't know how long the edges will stay the way I want.

3 REPLIES

Re: Issues with helical edges displaying properly on drawings

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This kind of thing happens when you have interference between or within parts because the VHL algorithm (not just ours, everyones) depends on non-interference. Just looking at your "before" it looks like the spring at the top penetrates the second turn of the helix. This is going to result in a "crap shoot" and you may get a good result or not. 

So you have to fix interference if you want a good VHL.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Further to @dcstaples info....you might try upgrading the view display, in view properties, to process all face intersections.

ST8_DFT_ViewProperties_Advanced_PartIntersections.PNG

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

How will other part interferences affect other parts within the assembly?  I have a press fit with a round shaft into a round hole in this same assembly.  The spring edges still show the same way after fixing the interference on the spring itself and was wondering if other interferences can cause problems elsewhere.

Do hidden parts come into play at all?  The spring in the images is the default spring but can be replaced by another one with different wire diameter but in the exact same location.  I typically put those in the assembly so they show up in the parts list but hide them in the drawing views so you can't see two overlapping parts.  

Also, the create all intersections didn't seem to do anything to the spring edges.