Issues with importing NX part

Phenom
Phenom

I have two NX .prt files I tried to open this morning in Solid Edge which gave me this error:

Capture.PNG

What is going on with these files? Though I can't see them, I have been told there is nothing different/special about these files over past files that we've opened. What kind of geometry can exist in an NX file that Solid Edge cannot deal with, causing the import to abort? This is a bit embarassing to try to explain to the customer.... "Yes, we can open NX files and see part data, but not draft data...and now we seem to be unable to open these particular part files for unknown reasons."

Beyond that, how can I solve these issues other than getting a full-blown seat of NX?

-Dylan Gondyke
5 REPLIES

Re: Issues with importing NX part

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Dylan,

Because NX has a generic file extension, not ALL files can be opened in SE, as I believe even their draft [or equivelant term] files are included in this extention....further, there are combined elements that may also prevent the file opening. Namely points, curves, etc.

I haven't looked, but is there some sort of "free" native viewer for NX files....to enable a peek into the contents of it??

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

This is direct from the help file:

Capture.PNG

If point/curve data prevents Solid Edge from opening the file, this is something I'm not aware of. Yes, point and curve data is not READ. Yes, draft/drawing data resides under the same extension.

I've been told there is a read-only viewer for NX available for around $1100. 

-Dylan Gondyke

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Chally72 wrote:

I've been told there is a read-only viewer for NX available for around $1100. 

BARGAIN!!!!   Robot surprised

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Dylan,

If you want to send me your NX file(s), I can take a look.  See my email in my signature.

Kevin

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks Kevin. I'm working with my reseller to deal with these files, and they're very helpful!

-Dylan Gondyke