JT2GO Windows 8 app not working?

Genius
Genius

Hi,

I installed the JT2GO viewer from the Windows 8 store to give it a try. If I try to open one of the included sample 3D models the app closes down. If I try to open a JT file I created with Solid Edge it returns "An error was encountered while opening the specified JT file".

I only tested on a virtual Windows 8.1 PC however. Can anyone try JT2GO on a physical windows 8 PC and post their findings?

EDIT 28-5: JT2GO works fine on Macbook Pro with virtualized Windows (Parallels desktop)

Robin.

10 REPLIES

Re: JT2GO Windows 8 app not working?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Robin,

No problem here.....installs & runs exactly as expected. Must be the virtualisation.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Why not use Solid Edge Mobile Viewer -- also a Windows8 app. Just "Save for Tablet" in SE and then you can use the SEMV.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Genius
Genius

Hi Dan,

SE Mobile Viewer in it's current state is a bit too limited for us. The JT2GO Windows 8 app probably is too, but I just wanted to give it a try. The JT file format in combination with Solid Edge View & Markup seems to suit us best.

BTW: can you say anything about the plans Siemens has with the .SEV format? Seems a bit odd that Siemens is promoting both .SEV and .JT.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

the .SEV is used for the Solid Edge Mobile Viewer app, among other things. I currently use this on my phone

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

JT is the standard Siemens viewer format. .SEV is a Solid Edge format, for mobile devices. We'd obviously rather not have two different formats, but we can't control the pace/features of JT-based viewers (including the fact that they totally ignore 2D) and can control the pace/features of our own mobile viewers. Since we want to give YOU, our customers, what you want, we want to be able to control that.

Speaking of which -- what DO you want? When you say "bit too limited" what in particular are you missing? We plan to build out features, but are very interested in input here.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

PLM World Member Legend

for me right now it's what's lacking on the Solid Edge Mobile Viewer. A few things i would like to see off the top of my head. The ability to have the configuration along with PMI section views .Ability to unhide just one part not all. i'm not showing a pretty picture to someone in the shop. i need to be able to show them has much as possible. right not i have to save at times 3 different files to properlay show the design. One file would be great

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

TDB wrote:

for me right now it's what's lacking on the Solid Edge Mobile Viewer. A few things i would like to see off the top of my head. The ability to have the configuration along with PMI section views .Ability to unhide just one part not all. i'm not showing a pretty picture to someone in the shop. i need to be able to show them has much as possible. right not i have to save at times 3 different files to properlay show the design. One file would be great

Yes, further to what @TDB says about SEV, maybe if it were to function like "Hide/Show Edges" does in draft.....where selecting the "Show" would highlight all hidden parts, and could pick one or all as desired. The advantage the viewer has over JT, is that it can also handle draft files.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

PLM World Member Legend

or take a page from how EDrawings does there's. Think it would be beneficial to overhaul this. 

Genius
Genius

Hi Dan,

Our consumers of engineering data are:

- Assembly dept. (measuring, sectioning, part nr. lookup etc.)

- Maintenance and sales (viewing, part number lookup on mobile device)

- Subcontractors (file formats must be supported by SE competitors)

What we are looking for in a viewer:

- Display of 2D and 3D SE native and neutral files like JT and DXF.

- Model tree view with SE file property display like Document Number, Material, Custom properties, etc.

- 2D/3D measurement

- Navigation like Show/Hide/Scroll to Part etc.

- Sectioning

- BOM reporting

- PMI display

- Markup

Solid Edge View and Markup does all this. We could use SE native files for our assembly dept. and standardize on JT and DXF for sales and our subcontractors. I only thing I was missing is a good mobile JT viewer as I'd rather not introduce yet another file format like .SEV.