Large Assemblies - Freezing links-best practices?

[ Edited ]

So I've been doing some reading on how to improve performance with large assemblies, and links are one of the subjects that came up. It was mentioned freezing links, so I've been spending some time going back and freezing links within numerous sub-assemblies.

Now, how do I communicate to the other users what to watch out for, should they try to use something with frozen links? I'm assuming those links aren't going to update if you modifiy the other object you are linked to. This is sort of new to me, freezing links, and I want to try and make sure I don't cause more trouble down the line.

How do you handle freezing links? Do you do it at a certain time within your part or assembly? I guess I don't want to ask "stoopid questions", so any advice is welcomed!

8 REPLIES

Re: Freezing links-best practices?

I spent a couple hours yesterday freezing a BUNCH of links in my sub-assemblies, but working with large assemblies is still a fight for power to do anything. Are there any more informative posts about working with large assemblies?

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Blog/Large-Assembly-Techniques-for-Perfor...

I think your question about freezing links is an excellent one. I don't have an answer and am disappointed no one has anything to add so far.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I wish I could find that magic trick to get large assemblies to work here. It's taking 4 minutes for my assembly to just open, and this is making for a veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long day.

Are you opening assemblies as large assemblies and with all parts inactive? You can even open assemblies with everything hidden. That will definitely speed things up. Then if you have defined configurations you can open hidden then select configs to show what you want. Of course you can always select what you want shown from the pathfinder. Or you can open with a configuration with limited items displayed.

Bruce Shand

I've just changed my settings for opening large assemblies. It did cut down the open time a little, but saving is still taking 4 minues, when only a fraction of my assembly is activated and shown.

I find it hard to believe anyone could do this day after day without going postal............

You could also trying using "limited save" and "limited save" settings.

Enable them in settings, then in the tools tab while in an assembly.

limitedsettings.PNGlimitedtools.PNG

Bruce Shand

Re: Large Assemblies - Freezing links-best practices?

[ Edited ]

Personaly I try not to freeze my links in models there are other ways to get some performance.

- Assembly Open As in the Solid Edge options with large Assemblies, i put everything to hidden and show what I need.

- Simplify the model, don't need to see all the bolts etc.

- Hide the stuff you are not working on.

- Create zones for easy hiding stuff.

- Don't work from a network drive, try to put the model on your computer and work from that, biggest speed improvement.

There is no perfect answer for performance, your computer has to process everything on your screen the more you have the more it needs to process. Hiding things i don't need that are at the other side of the model from where I work on works the best for me.

Re: Large Assemblies - Freezing links-best practices?

Use Synchronous in Assemblies rather than interpart relations. You determine the design intent at the time of the edit, without having to set it up beforehand and change it if your needs change. Plus, you don't have to delete it later on. All of this deleting and freezing associative relations never made sense to me. If it was important enough to create at one point, should't you keep it?

With Sync, you can select multiple parts in an assembly to edit at the same time, without creating that expensive overhead of interpart relations of one sort or another.  Saves time up front and in the long run.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.