Large Assemblies

Pioneer
Pioneer

How do I get parts and sub-assemblies to display after opening a large assembly with everything not displayed. The only work around I can come up with is to expand the entire assembly. This is very time consuming.

19 REPLIES

Re: Large Assemblies

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Set up configurations in the assembly. Then when you open it hidden select the config you want to display.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have tried this and not all the files in my configuration are displayed.

Phenom
Phenom

Some methods for organising large assemblies -

Grouping in assembly pathfinder

Zones

Configurations

Remember that configurations are not dynamic - if you add parts that you want to include in the config you will need to resave it.

There used to be a command called Select Box where you selected a part and got an expandable enclosing box around it. All parts overlapping that box would be selected.

It isn't in the select menu, but is still available if you enter 'selection box' in the command finder.

Its like creating a zone, but not permanent.

I can't think why it was removed, and I can't find a way to add it.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

beachcomber wrote:

Zones

Configurations

Remember that configurations are not dynamic - if you add parts that you want to include in the config you will need to resave it.

There used to be a command called Select Box where you selected a part and got an expandable enclosing box around it. All parts overlapping that box would be selected.

It isn't in the select menu, but is still available if you enter 'selection box' in the command finder.

Its like creating a zone, but not permanent.

I can't think why it was removed, and I can't find a way to add it.

It has not been removed. To access it, first you need to enter Selection Manager Mode in the Select tool. You can do this either by clicking the arrow on the Select button on the Home tab of the ribbon, or by hitting SHIFT+Spacebar while in the Select tool:

selectionmanagermode.png

Once you are in Selection Manager Mode, select the part that you want to use for the selection box and you will be presented with the following menu:

selectionmanagermenu.png

Pick '3D Box Select' from the menu and that is the Select Box command you are looking for.

Greg

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

@novaman

If i understand your problem correctly, there is a fix. If you use the open command through solid edge there will be a option to open a configuration. This will open what you only have in that configuration

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks for that Greg.

The 2 commands don't appear to be exactly the same though.

If I use Selection Box I get a box that is centred on the part.

If I use Selection Manager method the box is centred on the part origin.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Builder
Builder

beachcomber wrote:

Zones

Configurations

I know how to creat Groups and Configurations, but I haven't heard of Zones before. Can someone please expand on this? 

Phenom
Phenom

From Solid Edge Help - Zone

A named, rectangular volume in an assembly that allows you to quickly show, hide, and select the assembly components that fall within the zone. You define a zone using the Create Zone command on the Select Tools command bar.

For example, you can select a zone entry on the Select Tools tab, then click the Hide command on the shortcut menu to hide all the assembly components within the zone.

You can use a zone to show, hide, and select parts, assemblies, assembly sketches, weld beads, and reference planes in an assembly.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Most of the parts are not really necessary in the top assembly so you can boost the performance by using the function "Display in higher level" in the occurrence properties.

If you set the value to "No" the parts will be ignored if you assemble this assembly in another assembly.

This technology is very powerful in bringing back performance and you can also hide technology if you have to send out the assembly to a customer.

2015-09-02 16_02_14-Eigenschaften der Vorkommnisse.jpg

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de