Solved! Go to solution

Large Assembly Renaming Parts in Revision Manager

Hello,

would you please to tell me how to rename the parts (or add suffix) automaticly to all parts in Revision Manager?

My files have the name 1234 - xxxx.xxxx.xxx and i Would like to change just the 1234 to different number to all of these files.

So far, I change all parts manualy one after one.

Before i have copied whole assembly to different path.

Thank you,

Arek

Solid Edge ST8 MP10
9 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author ArekK
‎02-26-2016 03:09 AM

Re: Large Assembly Renaming Parts in Revision Manager

[ Edited ]

Take a look at this. This should hopefully help

I could of renamed the dft's at the same time. i just updated them so they stayed linked

http://www.screencast.com/t/BWoiazJ09v

Should be able to "select all", then to a "replace" to rename all the files.

Matt

[ Edited ]

Hi TDB and MattS,

this is VERY useful - Thank you.

Regards,

Arek

Solid Edge ST8 MP10

If you just want to change "1234" use the replace function.

find: 1234

replace: abcd

It will operate on every instance of 1234

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP6 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

Might be a bit late posting this -

You must remember that it will do exactly what Bruce says - even some you might not want to change.

Always make sure you have fully defined the portion of the string you want to change.

In the OP's example I would use the string "1234 -" , as the remaining characters (assuming numeric) could also contain 1234

I use this method for copying an entire project onto a laptop for taking to design reviews etc.

Just expand all, select all, set action to copy, then use replace on part of the file path to change from server to c:drive.

RM will create any sub directories for you.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

It's good to learn little tricks like that so you don't change things unintentionally.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP6 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

TDB wrote:

Take a look at this. This should hopefully help

I could of renamed the dft's at the same time. i just updated them so they stayed linked

http://www.screencast.com/t/BWoiazJ09v

TDB,

How do you go about renaming the drawings?  Do you have to rename them one at a time in the where used section, or can you do a find and replace and rename them all at once?

This is where I get stuck... I create parts from within my assemblies, then create drawings of my parts.  My drawings are "siblings" to my parts because the assemblies are the "parent".  I seem to only be able to rename one drawing at a time in the where used section in the revision manager.  Or, I'll open each drawing separately in the revision manager, rename the draft and part, then do the same with the top level assembly, then relink the parts in the drafts.

Thanks,

Matt

You do like how i did up top. you move your cursor to the bottom and click. this activates the window. You now use the replace command change your file names all at once. This ony true if your changing all the files from 1234 to 4321 for example

HI all, I have the similar but more complicate situation that I would like to fix in a smart/faster way. If you have a look on attached block diagrams you will understand my problem. Point is how is structured my assembly and how I would like to rename all files so that I can have better structured project. That will also help a lot later to fix and to have all parts grouped by numbers. (more or les....I know that isn't possible to get it perfect bsc some parts are used in two assembly).

So, what I want is not only to replace 1234 with 4321, and do that with function "find and replace" in revision manager. I would like to use Rename function, but in a way that if we imagine that I have structure

3245-001

3245-070

3245-080

3245-090

I would like to have all sub-assembly that are under sub-assembly 3245-070 with lower number that 3245-080, but higher than 3245-070, so that will look like:

3245-070

3245-071

3245-072

3245-073......

And than to do the same with parts/sheetmetals, so that we can group them again by number. So, for example to say numbers 3245-300....3245-400 are for assembly 3245-070 and sub-assembly in that tree.

Hope I was enough clear and that somebody can help me what is best way to do it.

Regards