Large Reference Geometry

Pioneer
Pioneer

Looking for suggestions on dealing with large reference files. I'm working on a project with other vendors and the architect has supplied a rather large (75mb) 3d DWG for the superstructure of the project, and I am having issues bring this into my master assembly for reference. We have to detail parts of the interior that are tricky with simple reference plan/section views, and having the 3d geometry with all of the systems is quite helpful and it increases the precision on our end. I have tried to have them supply in a better format such as iges or step, stp which in my experience translates into SE much cleaner. This 3d CAD dwg file gets translated in a way that it breaks it into thousands of part files, and creates a enormous load for trying to work with it. It also dumps a lot of the individual parts and makes for a dirty reference assembly. Perhaps there is a better way to handle this, although I have a feeling this is just not a good format to import from? Thanks for your help.

8 REPLIES

Re: Large Reference Geometry

Phenom
Phenom

You are right in saying 3D DWG isn't the best of formats to import geometry for reference into Solid Edge.

Fortunately Layers are available in the 3D environment also. You will need to spend some time creating few to segregate imported objects and then turn those layer ON or OFF based on which reference objects are required to detail a given model.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @CADCAM16,

We get this a bit too, and have no choice but to use other software to "read / review / extract" the relevant information within.

Some 3D.dwg file just fail outright too, as they can also contain entities that are not supported in Solid Edge's DWG importer, such as meshes & point data, much the same can be said for IGES.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Phenom
Phenom

To follow @Tushars point, if you don't have an AutoCAD licence, you could try Draftsight (free) to tidy it up to just what you need before importing.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

When you guys say "3D dwg" do you mean it's wireframe?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

3D DWG Could be many things.

AutoCAD can actually fully model 3D set of object. 

It could also be a wire frame

It could also be a TIN from civil (2.5D polygons)

It could also be a house for Architectural

Starting 2007. The AME extension of AutoCAD was rolled into basic AutoCAD. AutoCAD is not a parametric modeling software. But it does do fully 3D modeling. It's just old school extrusions, Boolean, and part/profile.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks everyone for your input. I got a trial for inventor and used it to export it to a stp file, which although took awhile imported much cleaner into SE. It still created nearly 2,000 part files, but since this is all reference I was able to use it, mate it as a reference assembly and build around the geomtetry, being careful not to make any relationships/mates with the reference assembly as I will have to purge it or deactivate it for drawings. 

On a side note, this is causing issues with drafts. Turning it to hidden, or deactivating it does not seem to help when putting down views in the draft. It just freezes SE for 20 minutes while it tries to sort out so much geometry. I'm debating just purging it from the master assembly, but it would be handy to keep it there even if hidden from the drafts. Any suggestions on heavy assemblies for drafts? Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You could use occurence properties to prevent it from displaying in drafts.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

Well I take that back, it's not the reference assembly that is giving problems. I tried laying down just one floor as a sub assembly and it's freezing the draft environment for a good 3 minutes. Is there any way to avoid this on heavily populated assemblies? Thanks.