Layer improvements

Hello,

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I would like to continue the dialogue on layer improvments.

Selection of layers could be improved by simply clicking on the layer to make it active rather than having to right click on it and select "make active".  When I work in Corel Draw, you simply click on the layer, it highlights in red and it's active.  You can quickly move from layer to layer that way.   Corel Draw also has a simple pull down box to move or copy items to another layer that does not opening another dialogue box, you just pick the desired layer from the list that's already there.  Not having to move the mouse to another dialogue box saves time and motion.

When using "draw in view" in draft to add lines etc. I have to frequently switch back and forth between an active layer and the "auto-hide" layer so dimensions to constrain lines etc. don't show up in the draft view when I exit out of draw in view.  The current method of having to right click and pick a layer eats up time.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
3 REPLIES

Re: Layer improvements

[ Edited ]

Hi Kyle,

Have you tried double-clicking the layer name to make it active.

For moving selected objects from a layer to another, Solid Edge should simply provide the layers pull down list on the Command Bar along with the Style, Color, Width, etc. options. So I keep fingers crossed about this.

Further if a layer could be assigned a Color, Width and Line Type, then these options can also be eliminated from the Command Bar and a simple layer change would take care of everything.

The Properties for a layer (right click a layer and select Properties) currently presents a blank table to allow user enter a list of Name-Value pairs, some sort of meta data which seemingly serves no practical purpose.

~Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.in

I agree the layer interface should be in the style bar as well other options like make selected layer active or change existing element layers to selected.

I add a keyboard shortcut for "move elements to layer" so I can bypass the menu to change layers. Usually when I move stuff to auto-hide in DIV. So, select element(s), hit hot key and the layer list pops up for selection.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Another important layer feature would be purging for which an article promptly appears in the recommendations section at the end of this page. A direct link is here.