Leica 3D Disto laser

[ Edited ]

Leica has an inexpensive ($8K) laser survey tool for interior room surveying called the 3D Disto. It looks like a great tool for us, but so do a lot of things in on-line videos.  Does anyone here have experience with this item?

http://www.3d-disto-info.com/us/index.php

Larry

Using SE since V12, 2002
6 REPLIES

Re: Leica 3D Disto laser

Not with this tool specifically, but I did spent about three years processing laser scanning data. Yuck. First off, the initial results is called a point cloud. Typically 1 millions points is a scan. Scans take between 30 seconds to 30 min depending on the equipment. The real problem with any laser scanner is that they don't pick up any corners. All corners must be derived by a long editing process. The accuracy is of each point is typically 1/10000th of the range. reflective surfaces bounce signals giving false readings and sometimes 1/2 the beam catches one surface and half the beam another and average the two distances. Lots of frustration, time, CPU power, and experience needed.

Send me a PM and I can send you a paper on the subject that I wrote after reverse engineering a few cool items like the state capital of Kansas, Hundley submarine, and Mt Rushmore.

Be prepared to need a really really fast computer. 100baseT is not near fast enough to work with those kinds of files.

[ Edited ]

This isn't a scanner, it does point to point with various controller options. So you can actually construct a drawing with the measurements, or so they say.

Using SE since V12, 2002

We use the 3D DISTO for various templating jobs for cabinets, doors, windows, large abnormal structures, and more complicated projects. We absolutely loves it. The unit scans as many points as you'd like it to, and then exports the points to an AutoCAD file that we use to send to millwork shops. This thing is super accurate, and totally worth the investment. We've also been approved as 1 of 4 dealers in the US that can sell the 3D DISTO. Here's a video of a demo that we did a few weeks back. Shoot me an email if you want more information: ryan@dirigdesign.com

AdvancedDimensions.com

What about getting the information into SE? Can you import points directly into an assembly space or part? I don't think you can import a 3D dwg or dxf into SE but maybe that has changed.
Using SE since V12, 2002

Whoops, Ryan, I see that you just registered for this forum so you probably are not an SE user. The demo is interesting, though.
Using SE since V12, 2002

We don't actually use SE, but I've attached some files that export directly from the unit for you to play around with and see if you can import the points. The "4_1" files are from a windowsill templating job, and the "takeoffroom" files are from a countertop templating job.